Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

New EK2 Marked "93": Opinions?

Article about: Hi, all. I just saw this latest EK2. I looks good to me and to be in nice condition. The only odd thing I noticed is that the "1" in 1813 seems a bit obscured and shifted to the le

Question Re: New EK2 Marked "93": Opinions?

Hey, guys. I just received this cross in the mail the other day and thought I'd share some pictures here.
    It looks nice, however I am a bit concerned because the cross comes apart a bit between the frame and core as I have tried to show in these pictures. I am curious... How common is this to find in EKs and how much of a liability is it?
    I can't return the cross and I'm not that disappointed...just wish I saw it in-person first and I'm also just a bit obsessive & perfectionistic I am thinking I'll re-sell this. I already have two and perhaps someone else might appreciate this piece more. Plus, I'm buying some buckles soon and also saving for a helmet,
    Any thoughts on the cross and what a fair price is to try to sell it for given this potential liability?

Thanks, all!
    Best,
    Adam
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture New EK2 Marked "93": Opinions?   New EK2 Marked "93": Opinions?  

New EK2 Marked "93": Opinions?   New EK2 Marked "93": Opinions?  

New EK2 Marked "93": Opinions?  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement New EK2 Marked "93": Opinions?
    P
    Many

Default Re: New EK2 Marked "93": Opinions?

Hi Adam

A lovely '93' (I am looking forward to showing my 'salty old dog' !! )

I wouldnt worry about the frame coming apart , it could be put together by the'Gablonz method' where a wire is wrapped around a template and then stamped with a die as opposed to a piece of sheet metal.

Here is a cross I have that has been confirmed as ok
    Attached Images Attached Images New EK2 Marked "93": Opinions?  New EK2 Marked "93": Opinions? 
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

Thanks, Nick. I'll have to research the "Gablonz method" (any references?) Perhaps I'll keep it...not sure...there is so much militaria to want!

Looking forward to seeing your salty old dog

Best,
    Adam

Quote by Wolfspear View Post
    Hi Adam

A lovely '93' (I am looking forward to showing my 'salty old dog' !! )

I wouldnt worry about the frame coming apart , it could be put together by the'Gablonz method' where a wire is wrapped around a template and then stamped with a die as opposed to a piece of sheet metal.

Here is a cross I have that has been confirmed as ok
    you clever "old thing"

Quote by John Brandon View Post
    you clever "old thing"
    Why thank you John

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

Hey, guys. So after a little research I now know a bit more about the Gablonz method of EK2 production. Not being aware of what that was exactly, I was thinking it was a method of restoration you were suggesting, Nick. Is it common to encounter this separation of the frame? Do people remedy this in some way (or at all?)

Best,
    Adam

?

Hi Adam,
    I have a Paulmann & Crone EK2 which was made by the same Gablonzer method. It had seperated on the seam on one of the corners so I used a very small amount of Superglue to repair it.
    The repair is invisible and the glue was applied with care to the inner part of the frame so as not to show.
    I'm not so sure the same repair would work on your example though.

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

Hi, Adrian and thanks. Yes, I think it might be a little tough to try that with mine (maybe not worth it?) As you can see, the separation is small so it would probably require a very tiny applicator of some kind and then I might not have a lot of dexterity or achieve much precision. Just curious...what kind of Superglue do you use for these types of projects? Over here in the States we have "Krazy Glue" and "Bondini" among others.

Best,
    Adam

?

Hey Adam,
    It was just regular Loctite liquid Superglue.

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2