Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

And now for something completely different.....

Article about: by fabri Hello Bob you have a very nice example of a W&L with frosted finish obtained with the standard procedure but Adrian showed a cross with paint applied with brush, this is really

Default Re: And now for something completely different.....

Quote by fabri View Post
    Hello Bob
    you have a very nice example of a W&L with frosted finish obtained with the standard procedure but Adrian showed a cross with paint applied with brush, this is really very hard to find.
    I have just a cross and it has the neusilber hand applied.
    I have not seen that before Fabri, thanks for showing

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement And now for something completely different.....
    P
    Many

Quote by AdrianC View Post
    Hi Ewan,
    As well as wear on the high points, the most likely reason for the dark patches in the frosting is because when the frosting was applied it was applied to a brand new shiny cross. It may have been hard to see any missed spots. Over time these missed areas have darkened the same as the frame and are more easy to see now. This would account for the uneven edges too.
    adrian thanks for this info and thread as up untill the other day i had no idea of this frosting thanks once again

?

Btt

very interesting, the frosting on the cross just makes it!

?

I have a weakness for EKs with hand applied frosting!

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

?

I was never aware of this Adrian, ill keep an eye out in future

?

Here's a shot of my Juncker EK2s with the same type of frosting.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture And now for something completely different.....   And now for something completely different.....  

?

Very nice crosses! I see the cross that started the thread has only hand painted frosting on the front, what way did they apply the frosting normally?

?

The frosting on these early crosses was made from a combination of different chemicals and was painted on using a brush or a frosting 'stick'. This accounts for the fairly untidy appearance of the application. Don't forget that when it was applied, it was put onto a brand new shiny cross and the rough lines wouldn't show so much as they do after the patina has developed.

Later crosses were frosted using a Rhodium dip. The frames were immersed in a bath of Rhodium, this stuck to the frames and was allowed to dry. Later the frames were burnished to a shine leaving the frosting on the beading and in alot of cases around the edges, the suspension and ribbon rings. This is very noticable on Wachtler & Lange crosses.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2