Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Oak leaves marked "800"

Article about: I haven't receive any reply from Mr Dietrich so far

?

Default Oak leaves marked "800"

Hello and Merry Christmas !
    I would like to hear your opinions on this set of oak leaves
    I tried to make a search,but it looks like there were many variations from various companies,so after i finished, i was more confused !
    I friend who is jeweler saw it and told me that it's real silver
    The weight is 6gr
    That's the only information i have :-(
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Oak leaves marked "800"   Oak leaves marked "800"  

Attached Images Attached Images Oak leaves marked "800" 

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Oak leaves marked "800"
    P
    Many

?

Default Re: Oak leaves marked "800"

Today I found some additional information !!!
    In the book "Knight's Cross and Oak-Leaves Recipients 1941-45" of Gordon Williamson (OSPREY PUBLISHING),on page 4,paragraph 2; is written:

"To confuse matters further, although only Godet u.Sohn were officially contracted to supply the government with the formal award pieces,other firms did manufacture them for the private retail market; it was permissible for soldiers entitled to awards to purchase additional examples at their own expense from authorized outlets. In mid-1941,however,the retail sale of such pieces was prohibited and stocks held by manufacturers and retailers for private sales were handed over to the authorities and added to official stocks. Thus the retail sale of Oak-Leaf clasps only occurred for a relatively short period.
    Among the firms known to have manufactured these are Steinhauer und Luck of Ludenscheid (usually marked only with the '800' silver content code at the nine o'clock position)............"

?

Gebruder Godet made most Eichenlaub and they were made of 900 silver , S and L were advertising Eichenlaub in their catologue in mid 1941 and it is possible that a private purchase replacement could have been made between June 1940 and November 1941 from a company other than Godet , but only 56 awardees would fall into that category making an S and L set a very rare item. Never seen such a piece !!

cheers

Paul
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

?

What is the asking price? and if you have it in hand... take some pics in the daylight. A sideways pic would be nice as well ... to see the curvature.

This is not the S&L design. Keep in mind, though, that an original unmarked (as to maker) set of Godet Oakleaves has been found attached to an Schickle RK in the last year, the first time one has been seen unmarked. Can you post better (lighter) photos of this set, which seems to be very well made)? (Also, just in passing, even though the S&L catalog says "real silver" in the description of their Oakleaves, there appear to be original "L/16" marked sets, as well as totally unmarked sets, which are plated, and so not marked '800'.)

?

Thanks so much for your responses.
    I bought these Oak Leaves many years ago,from a fellow collector who was selling some parts of his collection,due to immediate need of money.
    I bought many rare things from him this time,in order to help him. (An fj helmet,a signed document by Rommel etc etc)
    Since i trust the source, and as we say here in Greece,i would put my hands in fire for him,i bought them for 600euro.
    I will try to take some better photos for you and post them now

?

Here are some better photos
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Oak leaves marked "800"   Oak leaves marked "800"  

Oak leaves marked "800"   Oak leaves marked "800"  

There are cast copies of Godet Oakleaves which are EXTREMELY dangerous. If I were you, I would ask Dietrich to look at these, in hand, to see what he thinks. Do you have exact measurements? The loop is different from the standard Godet, but then again, the loop on the entirely original set attached to the Schickle RK was also different (more like an S&L loop).

?

Are the Godet set cast copies be marked 800 ?
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

?

I don't have a caliper,so i can't take exact 0.00 cm measurments
    Every copy i have seen is marked with silver content and a maker mark
    Also in the book i mentioned earlier,was written that '800' on the 9 o'clock position was marked by the Steinhauer und Luck of Ludenscheid

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast