Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Oak leaves marked "800"

Article about: I haven't receive any reply from Mr Dietrich so far

Default Re: Oak leaves marked "800"

Godet also marked in the 9 o'clock position and S&L pieces can be marked, sideways, in the 10 o'clock position, so I am not sure that marking position always makes a difference as to originality, as they were all done by hand. The faint double marking of the '800' is interesting on your piece. Personally, I think yours look very nice, but it would be helpful to have someone who has handled many real Godet sets look at the set in person.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Oak leaves marked "800"
    P
    Many

?

I have never seen any copy of any firm marked only with "800"
    Most copies i've seen had the '900' mark for the silver and the "L/... " code,also they have the word SILBER (although the right one was SiLBER !) written over the maker's mark

I spoke again,a few hours ago, with the jeweler friend who had saw it before and told me the following:
    The silver is real and sows the typical signs of aged silver
    The construction is very good and detailed,it wouldn't be possible for an ordinary man to do such a good job,so it was for sure made by a professional
    Last edited by spyros; 12-24-2011 at 06:01 PM.

?

I don't know any expert here in Greece ,that could examine the clasp,that's why i wanted to hear your opinions
    I can't understand why a well known company,like S & L didn't mark their products

With very, very good photos, and accurate measurements, you could still ask Dietrich to take a look. I'm sure he'd be glad to help.

S&L Oakleaves (and Oakleaves & Swords), as far as anyone knows, were either only for retail sale or display/exhibition, so there will probably not be any marked with the PKZ number "4". The retail ones, after the institution of the LDO, were marked "L/16" (although I don't believe anyone has yet seen an "L/16" set of Oakleaves & Swords). The Oakleaves before the LDO, as well as those made after the ban on private sales in October, 1941, were not marked. The Oakleaves and Swords, although not officially "instituted on paper" until September, 1941 (just one month before the sales ban) had actually already been awarded to Galland and Molders in June, 1941, and so it is possible that some sets marked "L/16" could exist. Certainly, however, S&L made both Oakleaves and Oakleaves and Swords during the war, most of which (and real wartime ones are very difficult to find) will be unmarked.

?

Who is Dietrich ? Since i'm new to this forum,i don't know him :-(
    THanks so much for your information
    Merry Christmas !

?

I will try to find a caliper and take exact dimensions.
    The weight of them is 6 gr (my scales can weight only grams)

Quote by spyros View Post
    Who is Dietrich ? Since i'm new to this forum,i don't know him :-(
    THanks so much for your information
    Merry Christmas !
    Dietrich Maerz is the author of The Knights Cross of The Iron Cross and has his own publishing company, B&D Publishing, which has also published books on other awards and badges.

?

Aaaaaa,i guess he must be the top expert !!!
    Do you know how can i contact him ?

Just do an internet search for him and/or his company. There will be contact information there, I am sure.

?

I found him on facebook and send him a message to ask if it would be possible to have a look on my photos and tell me his opinion
    I hope he won't refuse. . .

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast