MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

Original 57 EKII Opinion

Article about: Hi there folks I just bought this from an eBay militaria dealer which is supposed to be genuine and came with a photocopied letter of authenticity from Steinhauer & Lueck but I can't fin

Default Original 57 EKII Opinion

Hi there folks

I just bought this from an eBay militaria dealer which is supposed to be genuine and came with a photocopied letter of authenticity from Steinhauer & Lueck but I can't find any mm on it. It is also non-magnetic Original 57 EKII OpinionOriginal 57 EKII Opinion. Can I have your opinions on it please. I payed AU$95 for it.....if it is authentic is it a good price?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Original 57 EKII Opinion
    P
    Many

?

Default Re: Original 57 EKII Opinion

Hi Jase,
    Yes it a 1957 EK2, unfortunately it is not an early piece. This is the typical standard of cross that S&L have produced in recent times and most probably will be producing today. I have a similar cross and an EK1. It is made in three pieces but as you can tell by the extremely poor paint job, the core was painted post assembly with this horrible thick paint. The cross is made of an alloy which accounts for it being non magnetic.
    I guess you could call it an original Steinhauer & Luck EK2 because it came from their factory but it is not an original early example made from leftover wartime components.
    A couple of early 1957 EK2s were posted here only yesterday, take a look and compare with yours.
    I'm not sure what the AU$/GB£ exchange rate is right now but I think I paid about £20 for mine several years ago.

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

Thanks Adrian

The paint is kinda horrible isnt it....no pride in the workmanship lol. Someone is offering a WW2 EKII, mm 120 on Aussie eBay for $150 or about 100 pounds. Is that a good price as I am thinking of buying it.

For a fairly modern day EKII, I would consider $95 (plus shipping?)an Awfully steep price. But that's just my opinion. William
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

LOL.......it cost $100 including postage.

?

Quote by jase770 View Post
    Someone is offering a WW2 EKII, mm 120 on Aussie eBay for $150 or about 100 pounds. Is that a good price as I am thinking of buying it.
    That again is at the very top end and a little way beyond it for an EK2. You should be able to find one for much less, unless you specifically want one marked '120'. They're not the most common maker but even so, that is alot of money. Dealers usually sell EK2s for around €60-€90 (or whatever the Oz equivalent is).

Quote by jase770 View Post
    LOL.......it cost $100 including postage.
    Ouch!

Quote by Adrian View Post
    That again is at the very top end and a little way beyond it for an EK2. You should be able to find one for much less, unless you specifically want one marked '120'. They're not the most common maker but even so, that is alot of money. Dealers usually sell EK2s for around €60-€90 (or whatever the Oz equivalent is).

Ouch!
    Ouch is right. I dunno why we charge so much over here. A couple of months ago a dealer at a collectables fair had a WW2 EK2 for sale at $295!!!!!

I paid AU$90 a piece for 2 WW1 EK2's. One was a KO and the other was unmarked. Its crazy. You should see the prices people pay for silver antiques.....its ridiculous.

Thanks again for your help.

As i know nothing about the '57 crosses, i would like to ask something.
    Are there examples made of 3 pieces and others made of 1 piece? The one on this thread looks like an 1 piece which is painted carelessly.
    Looking for the photo albums of Leutnant Emil Freitag, 3. / G.R. 377

?

Quote by don_kihotis7 View Post
    As i know nothing about the '57 crosses, i would like to ask something.
    Are there examples made of 3 pieces and others made of 1 piece? The one on this thread looks like an 1 piece which is painted carelessly.

Any original early cross will be made from three pieces and even the modern crosses that S&L churn out are made this way. The reason these modern crosses it look so sloppy is because they paint the cores after assemby with this awful thick plack paint which doesn't flow under the beading on the frame, it rests up against it giving the impression of the cross being made in one piece.

Aha, i get it. Thanks Adrian.
    Looking for the photo albums of Leutnant Emil Freitag, 3. / G.R. 377