Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

picked this Eisernen Kreuzes up from a bric a brac fair on weekend. real?

Article about: I still can't tell a real EK from a car crash

Default Re: picked this Eisernen Kreuzes up from a bric a brac fair on weekend. real?

Terrible quality fake...absolutely Nothing about it is even close to authentic.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement picked this Eisernen Kreuzes up from a bric a brac fair on weekend. real?
    P
    Many

Default Re: picked this Eisernen Kreuzes up from a bric a brac fair on weekend. real?

wow that is a car crash of EK.
    Morris

Yes, a horrible fake indeed.

Why did they pick a Souval to make a cast from?
    Already the ugliest EK style (IMO), and then they go and make terrible copies from it!

@ Eric:
    Even if it were a good Souval cross, putting it up beside a Deschler for comparison is a little harsh!
    Deschler made some of the finest looking and best quality crosses, and Souval's efforts would be the opposite end of the spectrum!

Just my own opinion!

Regards - Danny

?

Can you bend it or write with it? It looks a bit like a lead alloy.

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

Can you bend it or write with it? It looks a bit like a lead alloy.
    That made me laugh pretty good. Don't ask me why but it just struck me funny! Good one.

From the looks of it i still think its a 1040 cold roll steel. Its very cheap composition kind of steel. Its easily scored and simple to manipulate. Looks like the front has some F grade stainless steel on it. Just my opinion, but you do raise a good question.

?

Hi helmetone just for $10 so it was ok was just in a whole jumble of bric a brac stuff at the fair..was surprised to see it at such a place

Eric thanks for the pic comparisons i can see what u mean by the bad beading

Octavian thanks very much for the pic showing those 4 items to watch out for...was the burnt score marks from the soldering process?
    I never even thought of things like porosity!

glad i posted this now as I have learnt a bit from it

- - Updated - -

writing test tomorrow hmm might hold off on the bending test tho

Dalo wrote:

was the burnt score marks from the soldering process?
    I never even thought of things like porosity!
    For the hinges to be adhered to the backing of the EK, one must heat the metal. In this case way too hot! By heating the backing, it allows the hinges to be set with solder. This is a very common practice in all types of applications. But this dude, who used the torch went way to far. I bet the hole backing was glowing red by the time the hinges were set! ouch.

Porosity on some EK's can be found. But it's minimal. Late war EK's and other medals of the Reich also show this at times. But not like your piece. The porosity on your EK is riddled.

Others members pointed out obvious imperfections and did a damn good job at it. I was only checking out metal composition only. As an ex-machinist, i tend to look at such things. Can't help myself. LOL!

$10 aint bad. A decent filler piece for that price. You could probably resell it for a little more than that.

?

Quote by helmetone View Post
    $10 aint bad. A decent filler piece for that price. You could probably resell it for a little more than that.
    Not keen on fakes being resold unless they are clearly marked as such (FAKE scratched into the back for example) and not sold for profit or to an unsuspecting collector.

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

Gentlemens.,

I also have an EK accident or car crash.
    Bought this EK2 as a original one piece made field.
    But that was how I started collecting... and bought two EK2 originals.
    Hehehehe...

Regards.,

Von River

picked this Eisernen Kreuzes up from a bric a brac fair on weekend. real?picked this Eisernen Kreuzes up from a bric a brac fair on weekend. real?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2