Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Questions reference the Eisernes Kreuz.

Article about: Hello everybody. Im new to this game but have been bitern by the bug.. Im trying to turn the study into a war room as we call it!! "with the wifes permission".. I have a few questi

?

Default Questions reference the Eisernes Kreuz.

Hello everybody. Im new to this game but have been bitern by the bug.. Im trying to turn the study into a war room as we call it!! "with the wifes permission".. I have a few questins about the Iron crosses..
    1, the dates what do they mean?
    2,i cant seem to tell the difference between 1st & 2nd
    3, how much are the real deals going for?
    4 anymore info would be nice? Sorry for looking abit stupid!!! thanks in advance Terry
    Last edited by Adrian; 02-16-2012 at 02:20 PM. Reason: Title changed to use German terminology.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Questions reference the Eisernes Kreuz.
    P
    Many

Default Re: Stupid questions reference Iron crosses

Well, Terry, you have come to the right place.
    1) 1813, first established in Napoleonic wars. 1914 for WW1 Imperial, 1939 for Third Reich
    2) 1st class is flat with no 1813 date on the back, fastened with a pin or a screw.
    3) it really varies. You gotta shop around.
    4) Read the Iron Cross sub-topic under the Medals and Badges Forum. You'll find a wealth of info.
    And lastly, no such thing as a stupid question, except for the one not asked. Welcome to the forum.

Oops. Forgot to mention that 2nd class (Eisernes Kreuz 2. Klasse) is suspended from a ribbon ring.

Here's a link to the forum for WW2:

1939 Eisernes Kreuz forum
    Last edited by roger9344; 02-15-2012 at 07:05 PM. Reason: add link

Hey Terry, i will try and answer your questions as best as i can:
    1) The 1813 date is when the first iron cross was awarded and the 1939 date is the outbreak of WW2
    2) The Iron cross 2nd class is awarded as a medal (has ribbon), however, the iron cross 1st class is more like a badge and has a clasp on the back to support it when worn.
    3) Un-marked iron cross 2nd classes go for about £50-70 but marker marked ones are worth more. I would say as a guesstimate that a un-boxed iron cross 1st class could be worth around £150, but prices vary on the maker and condition.
    4) Iron crosses are often refereed to as EK1 and EK2 for short.
    Iron Cross - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Thanks, Glen.

Hi Terry, great to see you here mate, I am a 'yellowbelly' too

Good answers from the guys there!

Do some searches on EK's on this forum and you will learn loads just from the threads themselves. ALWAYS ask questions mate, and dont buy without posting pics here for the guys to check them out. There are so many fakes out there!!

Adrian and Danny70 are EK 'gurus' and are always there to help and advise as are many other members of course.

Good luck and enjoy building your collection

Nick
    Last edited by Woolgar; 02-15-2012 at 10:13 PM.
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

?

Default Re: Stupid questions reference the Eisernes Kreuz.

Hi Terry, welcome to the forum and thank you for asking the question. Many people are unsure of exactly the same as you've asked so don't feel like it's stupid question.
    The guys have pretty much summed it up for you, the 1813 date is always on the reverse of EK2s and the Ritterkreuz and Grosskreuz as that was the initial date of the awards conception and institution. The date on the obverse in the institution date of that particular evolution of the award so you will find 1813, 1870, 1914 and 1939 dates on EKs. Although there is a 1957 version this date was never put onto the award as these are replacements for the 1939 crosses without the swastika which was banned in German shortly after the end of the war.
    The first and second classes are easily distinguished as the second class comes suspended on a ribbon and the first class has either a pin or screwback device for attachment to the tunic. The second class was worn as a ribbon through the buttonhole or as a ribbonbar worn above the left breast pocket. the first class was worn on the left breast pocket and takes precedence over any other award worn there, ie; above them. The Ritterkreuz was worn at the throat.

If you want anymore information, just sing out!

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

Hi Terry, no such thing as a stupid question. Always ask.

Cheers, Ade
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Nick,
    This is not the helmet section. LOL.

Sam

Quote by sam1chlt View Post
    Nick,
    This is not the helmet section. LOL.

Sam
    "They seek him here, they seek him there
    Those Frenchies seek him everywhere
    Is he in heaven or is he in hell?
    That damned elusive Pimpernel"

LOL
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

?

Thanks guys all that info! I will attempt to store away im my brain cell. Interesting about the ribbons & screw backs.. ive learnt something already....I will when i have time "during work" look at the thread reference these awards... Just 1 more stupid question before i look at the thread!! What about bars?? or multi awards?.. thanks again lads..& thanks for the warm welcomes..ill be back... Terry.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast