Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

real or fake? Ritterkreuz.. please help!

Article about: Adrian, I thought some genuine RK's did have a dipping ring Nick

Default Re: real or fake? Ritterkreuz.. please help!

Adrian, I thought some genuine RK's did have a dipping ring

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement real or fake? Ritterkreuz.. please help!
    P
    Many

?

Quote by Woolgar View Post
    Adrian, I thought some genuine RK's did have a dipping ring

Nick
    You're right Nick, there is evidence that some originals did but more fakes abound with the dipping ring than originals. In the context of a newcomer and this particular cross it is safer to say that dipping ring crosses are most likely to be fake. I personally wouldn't be happy with one and would prefer a solid original than one that has a question mark above it.

If anyone can post an image of a genuine dipping ring cross then please do. Either the award or one in wear.

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

Thank you for the advice and information you guys, I really appreciate it. price quoted is thousand bucks or best offer?? WAY to low to be the real deal I know. I had the guy on the phone earlier and he had no information whatsoever on it except his dad gave it to him 30 years ago...anymore information is defiantly welcome and thanks again, u guys rock!

If a person is going to invest the kind of money it takes to purchase an RK, in my book, it had better be a one-looker. How many people, for example, in the 80's spent frightening amounts of money and bought those crude ugly "jewelers copies" or "wearing copies"? Money down the drain for nothing-except grinning seller's faces. Thankfully, you seldom see such trash anymore.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

?

Quote by daviswr7 View Post
    Thank you for the advice and information you guys, I really appreciate it. price quoted is thousand bucks or best offer?? WAY to low to be the real deal I know. I had the guy on the phone earlier and he had no information whatsoever on it except his dad gave it to him 30 years ago...anymore information is defiantly welcome and thanks again, u guys rock!
    The price tells all , it is worth 6 or 7 times that if real and these days even if you know nothing about them a quick internet search will reveal the price so why would someone give it away !!
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

I completley agree! He says it's just been sitting in a box and has never researched it or anything, but your right, to good to be true most likely. I just thought I would throw it up here and let you guys take a whack at it...thanks

?

The piece that started this thread is a postwar Souval. The shape of the eye, the fact that the 800 silver mark is on the obverse rather than reverse frame and ( although not terribly clear on the images) the bottom of the numeral 3 in 1939 is just fractionally lower than the other numerals are all traits of Souvals postwar produced pieces.

Although not really possible to see on a face-on pic, most probably you'd find that the level of the swastika is well below the level of the ribbed inner edge of the frame, the low swastika being another Souval trait.

So I guess I'll end with this question to you folks. Is there any value or collectability here at all? Or is this basically just worth its weight in scrap because its a reproduction. And lastly, is it a faux pas of some sort to collect these Souval pieces? or was this merely a way to rip off collectors who were looking for authentic memorobilia back in the day? Thanks again for all your help, you've been great.

?

Quote by daviswr7 View Post
    So I guess I'll end with this question to you folks. Is there any value or collectability here at all? Or is this basically just worth its weight in scrap because its a reproduction. And lastly, is it a faux pas of some sort to collect these Souval pieces? or was this merely a way to rip off collectors who were looking for authentic memorobilia back in the day? Thanks again for all your help, you've been great.
    I'll try and answer your questions in order and from my perspective.

It might have some value to a re-enactor or someone who wants a space filler in lieu of a genuine RK.

To others, it is just worth it's weight in scrap.

Souval pieces are collectible but as Souval made awards after the end of the war, (being Austrian, the rules over the swastika didn't apply as it did in Germany) using the same techniques for a period of time there is always the 'is it/isn't it'? question hanging over alot of their products. I have Souval pieces in my collection.

Undoubtedly over time, Souval pieces were/are used to rip off collectors back in the day and even today!

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

In My eyes, it's just a piece of costume jewelry. Basically worthless as far as collectability. It was never awarded for any act of honor or bravery, and it was never official Anything.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast