Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Recent finds from Germany: 2 x EKII with different frame sizes

Article about: One of them is marked "55" (J.E. Hammer & Söhne Geringswalde) but another is unmarked with a much wider frame. I'm not an EKII expert but this cross seems also 100% original to

Default Recent finds from Germany: 2 x EKII with different frame sizes

One of them is marked "55" (J.E. Hammer & Söhne Geringswalde) but another is unmarked with a much wider frame. I'm not an EKII expert but this cross seems also 100% original to me. Can anyone tell who is the maker and why the frame is so wide? Is EK frame from WWI?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Recent finds from Germany: 2 x EKII with different frame sizes   Recent finds from Germany: 2 x EKII with different frame sizes  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Recent finds from Germany: 2 x EKII with different frame sizes
    P
    Many

?

Default Re: Recent finds from Germany: 2 x EKII with different frame sizes

The standard frame size is 44 x 44 mm, the larger size is 47.5 x 47.5 mm. These, larger crosses are known as Ubergrosse (oversize) EKs. The reason for the larger size is likely lost to time, but they were issued as regular EKIIs.

Regards,

Carl

I think the bigger one is called UberGross EKII... correct me if im wrong... They are rarer crosses

?

Don't get confused between wide frame crosses and Ubergrosse crosses. Ubergrosse EKs are bigger overall, not just a wider frame. The cross above is not an Ubergrosse. I would suggest comparing it with a '24'.

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

Adrian is correct.

I have an example of this too, I think it is down to wear as it is much smaller than my W&L

Nick
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Recent finds from Germany: 2 x EKII with different frame sizes  
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

?

I've just had a look at it compared to a marked '24' and that is indeed what you have.

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....