Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

Ritterkreuz?

Article about: Hey all, I have a Knights Cross that I am trying to determine if its real or a repro. I have done a lot of research on it and all clues point to yes that it was a Kriesmarine Knights Cross s

Default Ritterkreuz?

Hey all,

I have a Knights Cross that I am trying to determine if its real or a repro. I have done a lot of research on it and all clues point to yes that it was a
    Kriesmarine Knights Cross since it is not magnetized and therefore not
    susceptible to salt air or water oxidizing. The stamp marks in the
    back have the "800" mark as well. I have included some pictures if
    the item and would love to get your feedback on this...
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Ritterkreuz?   Ritterkreuz?  

Ritterkreuz?   Ritterkreuz?  

Ritterkreuz?  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Ritterkreuz?
    P
    Many

Default Ritterkreuz?

The EK2 (not a Round 3) and packet at the start of the thread look like they might be good but better pictures are needed to be certain.

@ industry1755:
    The RK with Oaks and swords are NOT an original pieces.

They may be a Souval copies from the sixties, but due to the extreme lack of quality, it looks more likely that they are copies of the Souval copy. It is definitely not made of 800 silver, it looks more like a cheap alloy.
    The story that non magnetic cores were produced for the Kriegsmarine is just that.... a story. There is no truth to it.

Sorry for the bad news.
    Regards - Danny

EDIT:
    I've just seen the date on the initial post about the EK2... perhaps I'm a bit late with my comments about that!

Default Re: Iron Cross real?

Thanks for the quid response Danny....Any idea on the value of this thing, or if it has any value at all?

Quote by industry1755 View Post
    Thanks for the quid response Danny....Any idea on the value of this thing, or if it has any value at all?
    To be honest, it's not worth much.
    You probably could sell it as a reproduction piece, but even as a repro, the quality is just not there.
    The Oaks and swords look like they may be actual Souval, but they were such bad copies in the first place, no one really wants them. EDIT: Had another look, and no, they aren't Souval.

As to an actual figure, it's a 3 piece construction but non-magnetic core... you might be lucky and get approx. €50 for it.

Bad news indeed :-( ....Guess I'll just hold onto it than. Thanks so much for the info though

Quote by industry1755 View Post
    Bad news indeed :-( ....Guess I'll just hold onto it than. Thanks so much for the info though
    Wait for some other members to give a valuation... I may be way out in my estimation.
    I am just thinking that I would not pay any more than that for it.

Apologies again.

?

Default Re: Ritterkreuz?

I concur with the valuation Danny has given, unfortunately the quality of this piece is so poor it has little value even as a display piece . One thing to remember is that if this was real it's value would be £20,000 plus as only 159 ish were ever awarded , so many more fakes than originals abound !!

cheers

Paul
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

?

Welcome to the forum and thank you for posting, even though it was for bad news!

The non magnetic/Kriegmarine theory is a myth however as there is plenty of evidence that Kriegsmarine personnel were awarded magnetic EKs.

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

?

Welcome to the forum... yes if real, the Oaks would be worth lots of money all be themselves.. sorry that you had to hear the bad news ... but my search continues, and so should yours!!