Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

Ritterkreuz des Eisernen Kreuzes: fake

Article about: Hi Guys, I don't normally bother to post fake items. The study of original items is best. But this one came into work this week and I thought that I would share it with you. My heart missed

Default Ritterkreuz des Eisernen Kreuzes: fake

Hi Guys, I don't normally bother to post fake items. The study of original items is best.

But this one came into work this week and I thought that I would share it with you. My heart missed a beat for a second when it came out of the box. But sadly upon closer inspection, it became evident it was bad. It has been made to deceive and even has false "shirt button" wear to the reverse of the cross.

Problems with it are many:

It does not correspond with any known original die characteristics from any wartime maker. Observe the rims.

It is correct three piece construction and the core is magnetic, (with a slight touch of rust for good measure) but the rims are not made of silver.

Loop ends are rather rough and not correctly rounded.

The "800" silver hallmark is done so it reads downwards and not sideways on the loop. I have never seen this on an original.

The faded neck ribbon and aged case are also fake. I am always wary of any neck ribbon which uses mini EK ribbons as the tie. Fakers seem to love these.

Cheers, Ade.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Ritterkreuz des Eisernen Kreuzes: fake   Ritterkreuz des Eisernen Kreuzes: fake  

Ritterkreuz des Eisernen Kreuzes: fake   Ritterkreuz des Eisernen Kreuzes: fake  

Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Ritterkreuz des Eisernen Kreuzes: fake
    P
    Many

?

very interesting keep up the good work

Thank you for the assessment information, much appreciated

wow 1st fake iv'e seen with the button wear on the reverse ,Some one has gone to a fair bit of effort to deceive ! As a gap filler i would of thought that this was a fairly good copy so my question is ,what is it actually worth? Did the auction house you work for sell it as a fake (or not as they don't deal in repro's) if so how much ? what did the seller say when told it was fake ? just interested ,cheers ,Paul

Thanks for sharing with everyone Ade, this never ends. Good copy that could deceive anyone out there, sounds scary

?

Ade, Your occupation must be difficult when the poor victims with all kinds of stories show up at the establishment.. Several times I have been witness to such shoddy items and the dealers are emphatic about the originality and claims brought forth by the potential seller.. And to be let down.. And then they proclaim one is trying to "Low-Ball" them.. My reply is thus... "No offer was made"...... Just my two cents.. G
    I'd rather be A "RaD Man than a Mad Man "

When do you suppose this was made? Fakes from the 70s (when things started to ramp up) are getting frightening with age. NH

Hi Guys, we can sell repro items and naturally they are described as such in the auction catalogue. And they do sell.

This one was brought in by the vendor who was selling a collection which belonged to his late uncle. He was shocked to find out it was fake.

This one was made in the past 20 years.

I have got to agree a value with the vendor on this one, once that is done it can be sold.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!