Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Strange unmarked EK2

Article about: Using Joachim's photo of this parade mounted Schenkl you will see in the same place as your flaw Danny, there is the slightest hint of the same thing on this one. The reverse frame doesn't s

Default Strange unmarked EK2

Hello All,

Here's one I have been asked about on another forum and it certainly has me intrigued...

I am assured that both images are of the same cross, but from what I can see in these two pictures (all I have to go on at the moment), the frame on the obverse is completely different to the one on the reverse.
    Notice the 'cross-hatching' at the centre corners of the beading on the reverse, while the obverse does not show this feature at all. Even the wear seems inconsistent - the obverse is extremely worn while the reverse is far less so.

The obverse frame looks like it is Steinhauer & Lück style, while the reverse looks to match the second Anton Schenkl's Nachfolger frame type (cross-hatched corners).
    The core is as yet, a mystery to me.

Anyone have any ideas or opinions?

Regards - Danny
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Strange unmarked EK2   Strange unmarked EK2  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Strange unmarked EK2
    P
    Many

Default Re: Strange unmarked EK2

Its incredible its the same cross! If it is what a catch for any collection !!

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

?

Danny, can you load the photos to the forum please? I click to enlarge it and it goes straight to the photo hosting site main page and I can't enlarge to compare the frame details.

It's definitely two different frames and I believe you have the makers called correctly. The core is not a Schenkl core however.

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

Sorry Adrian,
    I will upload them when I get back home,
    I just pasted the links because I'm using my phone.

The owner of the cross doesn't know about EKs and this is his only one. You are correct that the core is not a Schenkl, but The frames are what have me puzzled. If the core can be identified it might help towards solving the mystery.

Regards - Danny

?

Thanks Danny.

The cores are definitely not a match to what I have in my marked S&L cross and not what I have in either of my Schenkl crosses.

Photos have been uploaded to the site - sadly these are the best I have to go on for the moment.
    The owner of the cross has promised to supply some more...

?

Ask him for some of the ribbon too, from what I can see of it, it doesn't look WW2 era.

?

Interesting cross

Three more images, sadly no straight on images as yet.
    Notice the soldering has not been tampered with.
    As Adrian pointed out, the ribbon is a modern reproduction.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Strange unmarked EK2   Strange unmarked EK2  

Strange unmarked EK2  

Finally, some better ones... (that's a very distinctive die flaw on the nine o'clock arm of the obverse).

This cross really interests me, as it is the first time I have encountered this kind of anomaly.
    I know that some of the 'odd date' EK2's have a lug on only one side of the frame, but still those frames are made from the same dies whereas this one is a real puzzle - two completely different frames.

My best guess as to what happened is that this was possibly made by the firm of Bruder Schneider A.G., Wien (PKZ #106) - I believe they used the S&L frame type and they for some reason 'borrowed' some frame parts from Schenkl - another Vienna based company - hence the mixture.
    As I said, purely a guess.

Any ideas on the core though? the reverse date doesn't look very much like my former Schneider cross, but it's hard to zoom in on these photos.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast