Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

U-47 EK1 ........... real?

Article about: Hey guys, here is an unusual item, an EK1 , engraved U-47 wilhelmshaven, 8-11-40. Fellow collector picked this up, doing some research for him.......... any ideas if this is legit? If needed

?

Default U-47 EK1 ........... real?

Hey guys, here is an unusual item, an EK1 , engraved U-47 wilhelmshaven, 8-11-40. Fellow collector picked this up, doing some research for him.......... any ideas if this is legit? If needed i can post more pics.Thanks guys!!!!!!!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture U-47 EK1 ........... real?   U-47 EK1 ........... real?  

U-47 EK1 ........... real?   U-47 EK1 ........... real?  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement U-47 EK1 ........... real?
    P
    Many

Default Re: U-47 EK1 ........... real?

If legit, I think this is very exciting! This type of provenance is pretty rare IMHO with TR awards!

To my untrained eye, the engraving looks high quality, and it has a patina that matches the rest of the EK... It's not like someone added the engraving recently and there is unaged, shiny metal exposed.

Looks like a Souval

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

I've seen engraved EKI's sell at online auctions for crazy prices sometimes (if they were authentic in any way I have no idea). I imagine it's possible that some recipients have theirs engraved, but how common would this have been?

A quick wikipedia search tells me: "U-47 had a crew of 47 officers and men during her last North Atlantic patrol in early 1941, all of whom were presumed to have died."

If this is the case... how would this EK have survived? Am I correct in assuming that awards would have been worn and therefore lost with their recipients?

Can you show a better hi res pic of the engraving please?

Looks badly done to me with the vibrating type of electric engraving tool and why does it not have his name on it? It seems odd it has the sub # and the date and the place name but not the recipients name.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

?

It appears to be a genuine wartime compatible EK1 by Souval but I am very sceptical about the engraving. Badges often appear with 'little extras' designed to enhance the desireability and value of an ordinary badge.

I'm not sure what the date is supposed to be, 8th of November or August 11th?

Either way, she disappeared within a few months of the above dates and so did her crew. The other thing that makes me sceptical is that on the above dates respectively, U-47 operated from Kiel and Lorient.

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

?

I have been doing research also, on the date on the cross, U-47 sank a ship from Portugal, the MV Goncalo Velho on that date....i have added 3 more pics...... this is best i can do with pics. I agree that it seems "off" , but the engraving is done nicely.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture U-47 EK1 ........... real?   U-47 EK1 ........... real?  

?

I disagree with the above statement. U-47 did not sink any vessel on that day. She attacked and damaged the freighter Gonçalo Velho and her captain met with Prien, satisfied him she was neutral and continued on her way.

It still makes no sense. She didn't sail from Wilhelmshaven on that patrol, she didn't sink anything on that day, nor was the vessel she attacked of note.

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

?

Thanks Adrian, i thought she sank the Velho. It would Nov 8th, correct .... for the date on the cross?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast