Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Unknown Eisernes Kreuz 1. Klasse

Article about: Hey guys,have had this for a number of years and am going to move it along..its a Karl Gschiermeister of Wien but I have no idea what its value is..if anyone could help that would be fantast

Original Friedrich Orth

Unknown Eisernes Kreuz 1. Klasse
    Jedem das Seine

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Unknown Eisernes Kreuz 1. Klasse
    P
    Many

?

Good lord..such minute little details...ive got along way too go before I can safely spot fakes....so can you help explain too me how to spot that the fake I listed is one piece?

Quote by Torch View Post
    Good lord..such minute little details...ive got along way too go before I can safely spot fakes....so can you help explain too me how to spot that the fake I listed is one piece?
    Hi Sean

Yes you have a nice original Orth there

Your fake looks one piece rather than 3 piece as if you look at the seems between the frame and the core there doesn't appear to be a gap

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

Quote by Woolgar View Post
    Your fake looks one piece rather than 3 piece as if you look at the seems between the frame and the core there doesn't appear to be a gap

Nick
    As Nick says, one rather than three pieces. Although one piece EKI do exist this is certainly not one of them.

To add to the answer Nick gives about how to see this here are a couple of pics to illustrate the three piece construction particulary the appearance of the seam.

The three pieces are an iron core visible as the black area with the swastika and date etc, sandwiched between, in the case of the EKII, two half frames front and back, in the case of EKI a front frame half and a flat back piece. The three are closed by soldering the front and back halves creating a visible seam.
    This is a very good visible indicator and is easier to see in some crosses as over time it can separate to varying degree. However, one must be able to identify it properly as some one piece fakes have a cast line right where the seam should be so look carefully.

The pics attatched are of both EKII and EKI.

Regards

Mark
    PS Please excuse the picture quality as I took them in something of a hurry but I think they should do the job.

Unknown Eisernes Kreuz 1. KlasseUnknown Eisernes Kreuz 1. Klasse

?

Ah okay..i have a EKII and can see the seam on that one

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2