Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

The Unknown EK2 - #1.

Article about: Two new EK2s arrived into my collection today and I'm pleased to be able to share them with you. The first one has been discussed numerous times on various forums with no definite conclusion

?

Default Re: The Unknown EK2 - #1.

Juhuuuuu than I buy it!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement The Unknown EK2 - #1.
    P
    Many

?

Quote by Anubis View Post
    Juhuuuuu than I buy it!
    Congrats

I think you are right, Adrian. But the beading are very close.
    Hmm, I wonder if we ever find the makers..

?

Juhuuuuu than I buy it!
    Go for it János!

What does anyone think about the cores on my cross and Sonny's?
    I think they're extremely close, different core finishes but the dates look very very close. The first '9' in the obverse date looks slightly different in shape but everything else seems to match?

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

?

They are very close, I think they are from the same maker just one of them is an early one.
    Trevor found once a set, packet by Moritz Hausch 127 with this type of cross, but the cross was unmarked, so we don't know its a put together set or original.But thats maker is from Porzheim too if I'm good remember.

?

Picture from the set:

The Unknown EK2 - #1.The Unknown EK2 - #1.

?

packet:

?

They are very close, I think they are from the same maker just one of them is an early one.
    Trevor found once a set, packet by Moritz Hausch 127 with this type of cross, but the cross was unmarked, so we don't know its a put together set or original.But thats maker is from Porzheim too if I'm good remember.
    Yes, I remember that now. Unfortunately this is the only set (EK2 and Packet) that has surfaced with this type of cross. Not proof by any means but maybe something to work with. The trouble is, no-one knows what a '127' cross looks like.
    Unfortunately sets were put togther right from the award of the EK and ever since.
    Unless a vet can produce one or more which can be, without doubt, confirmed never to have been messed with ie: he raided a supply store of un-issued awards or something it will always be a 'known unknown'!

?

Ok, so bringing this one back up again to discuss the maker possibility.

We know the above crosses are always found unmarked.

We also know that a few packeted sets have been found and the packets marked for Moritz Hausch. It has, over time, generally been accepted by collectors that this type of cross is from Moritz Hausch and they are now called as such.

That's about it though, we only have this evidence to go on and while compelling, is it enough? We know that EK2 and packets have been mixed up from the time they were awarded so is it enough evidence or can we simply call it 'circumstantial'.

The other point I wish to raise is that we know that Moritz Hausch did mark their products. So, if Moritz Hausch marked their KVKs we know they had the capacity to do so and if practiced on a lowly award like a KVK, wouldn't it be reasonable to think they would also do it on their EKs?

So why do we see other medals marked with a '127' yet we don't see EKs marked the same?

Here's a '127' makers mark on a KVK taken by member Menno from another thread.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture The Unknown EK2 - #1.  

Thats a good question Adrian. It makes you wonder whether these are MH crosses. Here is my example

Nick
    Attached Images Attached Images The Unknown EK2 - #1.  The Unknown EK2 - #1. 
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

My only observation is that the '1813' date on the back of these crosses looks very simular in style as the ones found on some Imperial EKs.

The Unknown EK2 - #1.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast