Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

Unmarked EK 2. Klasse in Forster bag

Article about: Gentlemen: I got this with a Carl Forster & Graf bag. The ring is unmarked. I would like to know the maker if possible. I understand there were a lot of these bags circulating empty, and

Default Unmarked EK 2. Klasse in Forster bag

Gentlemen:

I got this with a Carl Forster & Graf bag. The ring is unmarked. I would like to know the maker if possible. I understand there were a lot of these bags circulating empty, and someone probably put the two together.
    I think I know what it is not, but am not sure what it is. (In terms of maker).

Anyway, it is a nice looking example, and I am glad to get it.

Also, is there a good reference book I can get which would help me identify the makers. Thank you.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Unmarked EK 2. Klasse in Forster bag   Unmarked EK 2. Klasse in Forster bag  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Unmarked EK 2. Klasse in Forster bag
    P
    Many

Default Re: Unmarked EK 2. Klasse in Forster bag

Roger,

I've been staring at this cross for ages, and I cannot make up my mind about it!
    On the bad side - it has extremely uneven flange widths and irregular shape, but then on the good side - I like the obverse core (reminds me of a K&Q), while the reverse 1813 date has a feature I haven't encountered before except on a fake 1870 EK2 - the over and under '8'. The rounded frame edges remind me of a '123' but the inner corners are sharper...

I'm stumped! but looking forward to hearing what the other guys think.

Regards - Danny

?

Like you Danny, this one is a puzzler. Good and bad features combined. The uneven frames are a major red flag to me but again, the beading looks ok, the core has plus points and minus points.
    Based upon the frame though I'm inclined to say fake.

For the time being at least......

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

Thank you, gentlemen. I'll set this one off to the side for now. I kind of wondered about the frame. Nice to know about the 8, too.

Danny, what do you mean by the 'over and under 8' ?

This 55 for example has a similar 8 does it not?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Unmarked EK 2. Klasse in Forster bag  
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

Quote by Stickgrenade View Post
    Danny, what do you mean by the 'over and under 8' ?

This 55 for example has a similar 8 does it not?
    Well. I'll be damned!

I've had four or five '55's in my time and I never noticed that!, mind you, none of mine had such a good condition core as yours!
    Obviously then, this is not a feature that would condemn the OP's cross, but the more I look at it, that frame is turning me against it.

Regards - Danny

EDIT:
    Has any of you guys got a really early production unmarked '55' to compare the beading with?
    All of mine had that typically 'wrecked' beading covered in flaws, so I can't really tell.

I have compared this cross to several others, and the closest I find is this S&L. The one on the left is marked, the one on the right is unmarked.
    I notated some places on the frame of the suspect, which is in the center.
    When you look for them, the differences are glaring.
    This is the closest I could come with what I have to a match. The '55' I have does not match on the dates, although the frame is pretty close.

Anyway, here it is. The suspect is now officially a 'fake' and will be set aside for reference.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Unmarked EK 2. Klasse in Forster bag   Unmarked EK 2. Klasse in Forster bag