MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Wartime v Postwar Souval EK2.

Article about: Here are a few pointers to help identify a pre May 1945 Souval EK2 from a postwar Souval EK2 stemming from Farradin's thread here: http://warrelics.eu/forum/orders-dec.../my-ek2-18130/ I hav

mpw
    ?

Default Re: Wartime v Postwar Souval EK2.

Very interesting thread. One question. How long after May 8th 1945 did Souval carry on manufacturing the EK2?

Mark.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Wartime v Postwar Souval EK2.
    P
    Many

?

Interesting reference thread. Looking forward to the answer to the above post.

?

Quote by mpw View Post
    Very interesting thread. One question. How long after May 8th 1945 did Souval carry on manufacturing the EK2?

Mark.
    I don't know about the EK2 specifically but Souval made awards for many years after the war. Production methods and other details such as the reverse hardware changed making postwar badges easy to spot.
    The EKs are a bit harder because during the war it is possible to find Souval and Orth crosses for example with mixed and matched components which I think has led many to think a perfectly genuine cross is a fake because it doesn't match the known original examples.
    My best guesstimate is that they produced them to the 1960s/70s and maybe even later than that. Perhaps someone else will know for sure.

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

I was in the Souval store 3 times .
    1975 and 1979 he had crosses displayed . ... but the last time when I was in the store in Jan 1982 I can only say I did not see any .

Douglas

?

Thank you Douglas, was he making them at this time or selling previously made stock?

Adrian :
    In 75 he was still making them for sure . I did talk briefly with him . They were very shiny/chromy looking . Having obtained real periode crosses in Munich in 75 - I knew what they should look like . He did sound me out and knew I had some crosses and refered to them only as :" Restrikes" from original dies !
    I was not interested in his crosses at the time . Also could have them silver plated if I wanted . 79 could have been new or old stock ?? and in 82 not seeing any ... may have been out or not making them any more - I do not know . In hind sight I did not ask the questions I would have now !!
    Did buy -regretably- quit a bit stuff from him - have the sales receipt around some where , only to find out many years later ...... that alot of it is garbage . Hope he is resting peacefully in Hell now .

Douglas

?

Interesting information Douglas, many thanks for sharing it here.

I dont see the Die flaw (number 4) on this cross... Is it a post war cross?

Wartime v Postwar Souval EK2.Wartime v Postwar Souval EK2.

?

Have you got any other photos Peter? One of the back? The flaw is more obvious on some than others.

Yes Adrian, but its not a very good pic.
    Wartime v Postwar Souval EK2.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast