Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Who likes frosting??!! Eisernes Kreuz 1. Klasse BH Mayer "26"

Article about: Hello, gents. Feast your eyes upon my latest Iron Cross acquisition. A super duper BH Mayer. I found this one, of all places, on Craigslist, so it's proof that CL is not totally full of junk

?

Hey Todd, as it is hockey season I will put it in the correct terminology.......

....SCORE!!!
    Regards,
    John

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Who likes frosting??!!  Eisernes Kreuz 1. Klasse BH Mayer "26"
    P
    Many

?

Thumbs up

Quote by helmetone View Post
    I found this one, of all places, on Craigslist, so it's proof that CL is not totally full of junk.
    This is a solid proof that if you dig deep in the dirt, you may find something better than Gold.

Congrats!!!

Hi Todd, hope you are well.

The EK1 is! You can quit collecting after this one, impossible to upgrade. I love it.

Mark
    In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig. CE

?

SHOW OFF!

;-)
    :-)

Todd, that's the nicest one I've ever seen. In fact: It's fan-****ing-tastic.

Craig's List is a Death Zone for me, but I'm super happy for you and your huge SCORE!!! (Go Blue Jackets!)

Congrats Todd!
    I can't say anymore than has been said already. They don't come any better than that one.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

Wow
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

It also came with this box. A good box, I assume? I know these are faked and I have little knowledge of how to discern good from bad.

Who likes frosting??!!  Eisernes Kreuz 1. Klasse BH Mayer "26"

PS: Some of you might now recognize this cross and box, as it was posted a while back by a newer member.

?

This nice cross makes me wonder: how come that the beading always looks better (brighter) than the frame? While the frame often gets a various patina the beading still remains distinctively bright even after years.

?

Quote by Pavel View Post
    This nice cross makes me wonder: how come that the beading always looks better (brighter) than the frame? While the frame often gets a various patina the beading still remains distinctively bright even after years.
    Great complete and original set with all the cardboard accoutrements Todd. Congratulations on your acquisition.

With reference to the question asked by Pavel, the frame was given an all over coating of rhodium frosting, when dry, the flat edges of the frame were polished and buffed to a mirror shine with the beading left alone to retain the frosted finish.
    In the case above, Todd's cross looks like it has a darker frame because it is reflecting a dark background. I bet at an angle it is mirror bright. In other cases such as the cross below, the frame has darkened with age and because of the base metal being exposed to the air whereas the frosted beading still remains bright, maybe yellowed slightly because it reacts differently, slower to the elements.
    The only difference being is that the following example has had the frosting hand applied as opposed to the frame being dipped in a rhodium bath.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Who likes frosting??!!  Eisernes Kreuz 1. Klasse BH Mayer "26"  

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

Thank you, Adrian. Indeed, my example shown here has a mirror shine on the polished flat surface. I actually caught the sun at an angle and it was a blinding reflection on the polished area. I had to play with it to get the light proper enough to photograph without blinding myself or washing out the details. It's an impressive example an I'm extremely happy to be its caretaker.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast