Default Re: ww2 german spange

i dont like too

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement ww2 german spange
    P
    Many

Hello there,

In my opinion, they tried to get the details down as this one is crisp but I have some problems with it. I don't like the eagle's feet, I don't like the reverse pins. Last, I certainly don't like how it was mounted on a WWII EK ribbon instead of the proper WWI version.

William Kramer

Callum, can I just ask what you used to clen your spange? I have one that could do with some TLC. Once done I will post the pictures of it.

If anyone else can recommend cleaning techniques I would be greatful.

?

Quote by booboo252 View Post
    Callum, can I just ask what you used to clen your spange? I have one that could do with some TLC. Once done I will post the pictures of it.

The ONLY cleaning technique I would recommend is warm, slightly soapy water, a soft toothbrush, soft towels or absorbent paper and a hairdryer.

I would not clean any zinc items with finish remaining on them or any EK with paint flaking off or with rust under the paint. This will fall off under the most gentle cleaning and your badge or medal will be ruined. Nor would I clean anything for the sake of it. I cannot emphasize caution enough here guys please don't clean unless it is absolutely necessary.

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

?

hi booboo
    the stuff i used was called inox you can also use metho (methalated spirets) with a tooth brush and i wouldnt recomend this for originals but i also used a flathead screw driver it didnt do any damage but it got the coroision off realy good just go over it lightly if your going to use a flathead screw driver i mostly used it on the edges and on the back and in the wings, but seem your is original be careful IF you use the screw driver but inox never fails it top stuff and keeps the rust and corosion away metho isnt as good.
    Last edited by callum; 05-30-2010 at 09:41 AM.

?

Guys, you can do whatever you want with your collection and your items but I would not recommend anything like using a screwdriver on any original items, not even methalated spirits, white spirit or related liquids.
    Toothbrush and soapy water on stable items only. If you buy things that are in such a need of a clean then get it professionally done or perhaps don't buy them.
    I have seen so often the result of a well intentioned clean, the award has been damaged beyond repair, the value wiped in seconds, the history, the patina. If in doubt - don't.

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

?

as i said i wouldn't recomend using a flathead screw driver on originals but mines a repro looked to me like an original. dam polish. but if you see the photos of mine clean the flathead screw driver only a small one it didnt do any damage at all. but if yours is original i wouldn't use that tecnique, inox will defintly do the job it will hold the corsion at bay, as adrian said a toothbrush will work i used the toothbrush on the front for the number bar and the swasticka, the wings, chest and head. also inox is for everything my farther uses it on guns motor part basicly everything it will stop rust and corosion.
    Attached Images Attached Images ww2 german spange 

I'll leave mine as is. Cleaning is a risky option as discussed.

Here is my spange as promised.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture ww2 german spange   ww2 german spange  

ww2 german spange  

?

I'll leave mine as is. Cleaning is a risky option as discussed.

Here is my spange as promised.
    by the looks of your spange if i was you i would not clean it at all even with a wet rag youll take the beautiful finish off, mine needed cleaning tho seem it was coroding away.
    nice spange tho

Thanks Callum, I noticed the silver finish underneath and thought it might be a good idea. Looking back its definately not. I suppose it will preserve better as is.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2