Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Dirlewanger ID Book

Article about: Have I got good reason to doubt these are genuine ?

CBH
    ?

Well your lucky enough to have found this fine forum, and can now easily educate yourself if your willing to put the time in.
    If not, there are plenty of other scammer who will gladly take your money.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Dirlewanger ID Book
    P
    Many

The two most common ID documents used by Germany at the time were the Wehrpaß and Soldbuch. There were some minor variations depending on branch of service and at what stage in the war the document was issued, but they generally retained the same layout and aesthetic appearance. The Soldbuch was carried on the soldier's person. The Wehrpaß was retained at headquarters level.

A Soldbuch shown here, along with a Wehrpaß from my own collection.

Dirlewanger ID BookDirlewanger ID Book

These were standard universal documents, meaning they were interchangeable with any branch of service. In the case of the Wehrpaß, the branch is usually denoted on the front cover. On my Wehrpaß - the property of a Panzer gunner - you can see 'Heer' faintly stamped in the large box beneath the eagle. If there is no such stamp on the cover, then the regimental service of the man - if he actively served at all - can be found inside.

The document you've posted is a well known Polish-made fantasy piece. No such document design ever existed within the time period of the Third Reich. The logistics for a 'personalised' document such as this one would completely mitigate its purpose. Printing an identity document with a design for a specific unit would render it confusing and useless if the man it belonged to was relocated or reassigned.

It's good that you've found this forum. It is a truly fantastic source of information, and there are many here who will be able to help you with any questions you may have. Welcome aboard!

Regards, B.B.
    Last edited by BrodieBartfast; 04-30-2018 at 10:39 PM.

Also worth noting. The SS were issued with their own Soldbuch design, though not always. In many cases an SS Soldbuch will be externally indistinguishable from a 'regular' one.

Dirlewanger ID Book

Regards, B.B.

?

Quote by BlackCat1982 View Post
    i cannot understand why people are still believing these things are real.
    I can only concur there a myriad of posts on all forums about these pieces of fake garbage . They have been arouind for many years and yet people are still getting caught out by them and they still abound on flea bay but at least the OP had the sense to enquire before it was purchased , or i hope they did ??
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

Lucky escape for me then. I was outbid by £1 on Ebay. It sold for £51
    Last edited by postmanhell; 04-30-2018 at 09:30 AM.

?

Quote by postmanhell View Post
    I guess some of us just don't know
    Yes you are right and this is the right place to learn. When I fist joined this forum over 10 years ago I discovered that at least half of my collection of militaria was either fake or fantasy. I weeded the bad stuff out and started over again by paying close attention to what is said and posted here on this forum. You also need to research items to see if they even existed before you move on to the authentication process. It's a long learning process but it pays off in the end. Good luck

OMG!!! They say a fool and his money are soon parted. Never a more true statement. Maybe someone on Ebay needs to highlight this trash, taking money off people for them is just crazy.

There will always be scammers, and there will always be gullible fools. The former is too immoral and indifferent to be stopped, the latter too impulsive and excitable. The sad truth is that this will continue forever, for as long as there is a market for these things. The best weapon against the penny-pinching baddies is knowledge. It's also coincidentally the best cure for impulse buying!

B.B.

?

You have had a lucky escape , i've seen people pay over £700 for them on flea bay !!
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2