Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

German Passbook Italy 1944

Article about: I know this has gone off topic from the original reason for this post (USAAF Airbase Finds) but I have decided to post the German Passbook pages my Grandad got from a dead German soldier Jul

Default German Passbook Italy 1944

I know this has gone off topic from the original reason for this post (USAAF Airbase Finds) but I have decided to post the German Passbook pages my Grandad got from a dead German soldier July 3rd 1944 while swimming in Termoli (Italy). The dead soldiers body floated up to them while they were swimming in the sea. Unfortunately my grandad didn't have the first pages or maybe they were to damaged from being in the water so therefore I cannot identify the dead soldier. I am sure this dead soldiers family never knew what happened to him as my grandad and the guys he was with buried him near where he was found in the sea. Maybe thats why I do not have the first pages and I am sure they would have handed in his dog tags so maybe his family does know (I really hope this is the case). Any rate I am hoping maybe someone can let me know if they know of these places he had been and also the officers who have signed this passbook. Maybe I can create a bigger picture on this soldier my Grandad buried July 3rd 1944. Here are some scans of the book and his original armband.

Look forward to any info or translations as I have no German knowledge.

Regards
    Neil

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement German Passbook Italy 1944
    P
    Many

Can't see exactly what he was hospitalised for. Bad Reiners is now part of Poland. Interesting that your Granddad referred to him as Marine, (unless he was wearing a life jacket) as he was clearly Heer. Sad that there isn't enough to ID him.

There's a 1944-dated Entry stamped by the 29th Panzergrenadier Division, which was indeed active in Italy....
    cheers, Glenn

Quote by bigmacglenn View Post
    There's a 1944-dated Entry stamped by the 29th Panzergrenadier Division, which was indeed active in Italy....
    cheers, Glenn
    But was well North of Termoli by July 1944, fighting in the mountains, so still a mystery unless the body drifted Southwards.

I can only speculate of course, but in the OKW/OKH War Diaries, there are numerous mentions of troops being lost while being transported by both Sea and Air due to Allied Interdiction in the Mediteranean Theater...
    Thanks for sharing this, wish I could be of more help, friend...
    cheers, Glenn

Quote by BlackCat1982 View Post
    But was well North of Termoli by July 1944, fighting in the mountains, so still a mystery unless the body drifted Southwards.
    Ocean currents can carry debris for thousands of miles. The diary mentions the remains giving off a strong smell, so he may have been adrift for some time. What a terribly sad and undignified ending to the life of a human being.

B.B.

Given the location of his field grave there is a good chance he was later moved to the German War cemetery at Cassino.

Thanks guys for all the comments - is this then actually a log book of service more than a pass book or were the Germans all in one book??

What you have are the remains on a Soldbuch, which was the soldiers personal log of his war service, units served with, his awards, training, wounds received etc. This was carried on his person at all times. sadly the official loss lists for the Falke Division are not available to non family members and are held in Berlin with the Deutsches Dienstelle (WaSt). Without the initial page giving his erkennungsmarke/roll nummer or name it is impossible to ID him. At best he might have been identified and buried at Cassino if his erkennugsmarke was still with the remains, if not then he is buried as an unknown, unbekannt Deutsches Soldat.

Quote by Safariman View Post
    Thanks guys for all the comments - is this then actually a log book of service more than a pass book or were the Germans all in one book??
    The pages are from the soldier's Soldbuch, his personal identity document that would have been carried with him wherever he went. The first few pages would have contained his name and date of birth, as well as his erkennungsmarke number and Wehrnummer. If it had been complete, his photograph would have been on the inner cover. It would have looked like this:

German Passbook Italy 1944German Passbook Italy 1944

EDIT: I've been beaten to the punch it seems!

Regards, B.B.