Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Heer Soldbuch

Article about: Here's a Soldbuch I pulled out of the collection, and having a tough time translating " like I was proficient in the first place" lol! However, the writing is even more difficult t

Default Heer Soldbuch

Here's a Soldbuch I pulled out of the collection, and having a tough time translating " like I was proficient in the first place" lol! However, the writing is even more difficult to decipher than usual for me. Appears his last name was Karg Heinrich rank Obergefreiter or senior private born 3-7-07 Bayern. Possible 1st call up/ examination was 9-5-1940 resevere I status looks like finally active in 1944 can't read the regiment possibly Grenadier??? Looks like he was awarded the KVK II and IAB silver . The rest I cannot read, and hopefully Andreas will come along
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Heer Soldbuch   Heer Soldbuch  

Heer Soldbuch   Heer Soldbuch  

Heer Soldbuch   Heer Soldbuch  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Heer Soldbuch
    P
    Many

Looks like Grenadier Regt 1231 was his unit. Obergefreiter rank is confusing me for it appears in WW2 it was a Senior Lance Corpral ranking , and achievements in action typically earned a soldier the rank. Thus, was a squad leader ?

This a replacement Soldbuch issued on 8 March 1945 to Heinrich Karg, although he must have served (consecutively or non-consecutively) since 1940, when he was issued his first ID tag. He was certainly on active duty in December 1943, when he was granted hom leave.

Mr. Karg was born in Büttelbronn, county Weissenburg, Bavaria and lived in Munich, Schillerstr. 39 with his wife Rosa. He was the proprietor of a mangler-/ironing service in civilian life.

The document was issued by his field unit at the time, the 8. (schwere) Kompanie, Grenadier-Regiment 1231 [8th (heavy) Company of Grenadier Regiment 1231]. The regiment was raised in January 1945 as a component of the 41. Infanterie-Division [41st Infantry Division]; this division also issued his award certificate for the Kriegsverdienstkreuz II. Klasse mit Schwertern [War Merit Cross 2nd Class with Swords]. (This is the only decoration listed in the document; no IAB there.)

His replacement unit was Grenadier-Ersatz-Bataillon 62 [Grenadier Replacment Battalion 62] in Landshut.

Quote by humble collector View Post
    Obergefreiter rank is confusing me for it appears in WW2 it was a Senior Lance Corpral ranking, and achievements in action typically earned a soldier the rank. Thus, was a squad leader ?
    We have no way of knowing what he did exactly.

Thank you Andreas once again you've been a great help. I couldn't gather the the writing after the KVK II looked like Inf- Bn then under the KVK I thought it said Silber. Very tough for me to read

Thank you Andreas once again you've been a great help. I couldn't gather the the writing after the KVK II looked like Inf- Bn then under the KVK I thought it said Silber. Very tough for me to read
    Here's what it says (might be helpful for practice in reading these entries):

- K.V.K. II. Kl. mit Schw. [= Kriegsverdienstkreuz II. Klasse mit Schwertern]
    - 41. Inf.-Div. [= 41. Infanterie-Division]
    - [signed: Schmitt]
    - Lt. u. Komp.-Fhr. [= Leutnant und Kompanieführer]

8th heavy company of Grenadier Reg 1231. I'm curious on the component of a heavy Grenadier company?were they PAK 37s etc..?

Gotcha Schmidt not Silber. Tough reading !

8th heavy company of Grenadier Reg 1231. I'm curious on the component of a heavy Grenadier company?were they PAK 37s etc..?
    Heavy mortars and machine guns.

From what I can gather the 41st ID served as a occupation force in southern Greece from Jan-May of 45 surrender to Yugo Partizans at wars end

Quote by HPL2008 View Post
    Heavy mortars and machine guns.
    I see nothing super heavy in the weapons dept. thank you for the clarification