MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

Help with WehrpaB

Article about: I recently came into possession of this WehrpaB . Although I have been reading up about WehrpaB papers on the forum, I understand the basic concepts, but I have been having trouble interpret

?

Default Help with WehrpaB

I recently came into possession of this WehrpaB . Although I have been reading up about WehrpaB papers on the forum, I understand the basic concepts, but I have been having trouble interpreting and translating the handwriting, codes, abbreviations of the units and other entries into this book. This is my first WehrpaB. Quite interesting to look into this soldier's life.
    I think I figured out a few items like his last name Zweig, born June 26, 1919 in Potsdam, maybe an airplane Mechanic, his promotion to Gefrieter, Obergefrieter and Unterofficer. Iron Cross II on 04-16-1943. He may have been wounded. And Maybe served on the Eastern Front?
    Any help, thoughts or translations as to this soldiers history would be greatly appreciated.

Help with WehrpaBHelp with WehrpaBHelp with WehrpaBHelp with WehrpaBHelp with WehrpaBHelp with WehrpaBHelp with WehrpaBHelp with WehrpaBHelp with WehrpaBHelp with WehrpaBHelp with WehrpaBHelp with WehrpaBHelp with WehrpaBHelp with WehrpaBHelp with WehrpaBHelp with WehrpaB

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Help with WehrpaB
    P
    Many

?

Sorry about the page order. When I uploaded the photos, that's the order it came out..

His first name is Gustav, and it's correctly spelled "Wehrpaß" or "Wehrpass". I don't think his last name is Zweig, there is a letter to much in it I would guess.

Regards

?

Default Zweig?

I just assumed that his last name was spelled Zweig because of the small tag on the face of the Wehrpass.
    Help with WehrpaB

Quote by Obal7 View Post
    I just assumed that his last name was spelled Zweig because of the small tag on the face of the Wehrpass.
    Correct. His name was Gerhard Hellmuth Zweig. I'll add more detailed info when I get home in the evening.
    Last edited by HPL2008; 02-23-2016 at 09:56 PM.

?

Thanks HPL! That would be great! and very generous !

Gerhard Hellmuth Zweig was born on 26 June 1919 at Potsdam in Brandenburg as the son of the salesman Otto Zweig and his wife Frieda, née Schulze.

A natural-born German citizen, unmarried and of Protestant faith, Gerhard was a business apprentice by civilian trade.

On 14 July 1938, he had his draft board examination at Potsdam, was found fit for military service was issued his Wehrpass.

Gerhard joined the Reichsarbeitsdienst for his compulsory labor service duty on 2 November 1938. Normally, the tour of duty with the RAD lasted a full six months, but he was discharged early on 25 March 1939 due to his having volunteered for the armed forces.

Accepted for an entry date of 1 April 1939, he took up active service on 18 April 1939 and reported for duty with the 4th Company of Fliegerausbildungsregiment 41 [Air Training Regiment 41] at Frankfurt an der Oder in Brandenburg.
    The following day, he was detailed for training to the 6th Company of Fliegerausbildungsregiment 11 [Air Training Regiment 11] at Schönwalde in Brandenburg.

On 22 April 1939 he had his military medical examination and was confirmed as fit for active duty.

He finished training on 9 July 1939 and was transferred to Gotha in Thuringia, where he served with 1./Fe. L. K. [sorry, I am not familiar with the abbreviation] from 11 July 1939 to 7 Aug. 1939 and then with the 1. Staffel [1st Squadron] of Kampfgeschwader 4 "General Wever" [Battle Wing 4 "General Wever"] from 7 Aug. 1939 to 25 Aug. 1939.
    He next served with the the Fliegerhorstkompanie Gotha [Air Base Company Gotha] since 26 Aug. 1939. This was his assignment when war broke out on 1 Sept. 1939.

On 9 Dec. 1939, he was transferred to the replacement unit of Aufklärungsstaffel F Oberbefehlshaber der Luftwaffe [Reconnaissance Squadron F, Commander-in-Chief of the Air Force] with which he served until 31 Dec. 1940. On 1 April 1940, he was promoted to Gefreiter.

From 1 Dec. 1940 until 17 May 1942, he was with the Technische Kompanie [Technical Company] of the replacement unit of Aufklärungsgruppe (F) Oberbefehlshaber der Luftwaffe [Reconnaissance Group (F), Commander-in-Chief of the Air Force].

While in this assignment, he was promoted to Obergefreiter der Reserve on 1 April 1941 and to Unteroffizier der Reserve effective of the same date (perhaps retroactively).

After 18 May 1942, he was serving with Luftwaffe ground forces deployed to the Eastern Front.

From 18 May 1942 to 17 July 1942, he trained with the Feld-Ausbildungs-Bataillon der Luftwaffe Nr. 1 [Field Training Battalion of the Air Force No. 1].

From 18 July 1942 to 2 Oct. 1942, Gerhard served with the 9th Company, III. Battalion of Feldregiment der Luftwaffe 5 [Field Regiment of the Air Force 5].
    Next, from 3 Oct. 1942 to 27 Oct. 1943, he was with the 11th Company, III. Battalion of Luftwaffen-Felddivision 1 [Air Force Field Division 1].

During this period, he took part in a raiding party mission on 13 April 1943. Three days later, on 16th April 1943, he was awarded the Iron Cross 2nd Class. [Whether it was for this mission or another one cannot be told from the Wehrpass entries.]

On 16 June 1943, Gerhard was wounded by a large piece of shell fragment that hit both his left hand and right knee.

Although officially listed as deployed to the Eastern Front until 27 Oct. 1943, he actually returned to homeland assignments on 3 Sept. 1943, possibly as a result of his injuries.

From 3 Sept. 1943 to 16 October 1943, he was with the 1. Feld-Ersatz-Bataillon der Luftwaffe Nr. 1 [1st Field Replacement Battalion No. 1 of the Air Force] at Gütersloh in Westphalia, then from 17 Oct. 1943 to 21st June 1944, with the Stamm-Lufttanklager [Air Main Fuel Depot] at Preußisch Oldendorf in the district of Lübbecke in Westphalia.

Apparently, he next underwent a period of advanced training. His final duty station entry (for the 22 June 1944 to 16 Nov. 1944 period) is the Fliegertechnische Schule 7, Ersatz- und Ausbildungskompanie für Soldaten im Ingenieur-Dienst der Luftwaffe [Aviation-Technical School 7, Replacement- and Training Company for Soldiers in the Engineering Service of the Air Force] at Detmold in Westphalia.

Gerhard was qualified with the Kar. 98 k rifle, P 08 pistol, MG 34 machine gun and the MP 38/40 submachine gun.
    Last edited by HPL2008; 02-23-2016 at 09:52 PM.

?

Just a curious question: Was not his first name rather Gerhard than Gustav? Both the handwritten signature and the entry on the first page seem to resemble the former variant (especially the last letter looks like "d" to me). But of course, I might be completely wrong.

?

Thanks all for your expertise!!

Quote by Pavel View Post
    Just a curious question: Was not his first name rather Gerhard than Gustav? Both the handwritten signature and the entry on the first page seem to resemble the former variant (especially the last letter looks like "d" to me). But of course, I might be completely wrong.
    Nope, you're absolutely right, Pavel.

Like "Landser", I, too misread it as "Gustav" when first looking at the document on my cell phone this morning and did not even think about having a second look at the first name when I assembled my detailed post. Silly me!

(I have fixed it now in my two posts.)