Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Identifying soldier

Article about: I noticed the bullet hole but no stain, thought it was used for target practice at one time. The one eagle insignia has stains on it . These items were not stored well and left in the bottom

Default Re: Identifying soldier

I noticed the bullet hole but no stain, thought it was used for target practice at one time. The one eagle insignia has stains on it . These items were not stored well and left in the bottom of a footlocker in basement.

- - Updated - -

I have other German items from wwII, I'll take pictures and post later this week. You might enjoy and help me tag for historical society.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Identifying soldier
    P
    Many

To answer question about bullet hole, never noticed before. These items were in plastic bag when found in bottom of trunk, notice stain.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Identifying soldier  

Schmidt's active duty postings - as seen on page 4 - were:

• 29 Jan 44 through 15 March 44: Fliegertechnische Schule 5/2. Rekrutenkompanie [Aviation-Technical School 5, 2nd Recruits Company]
    • 4 April 44: 5./Fallschirmschule II [5th Company of Parachute Training School II]
    • 3 May 44: 21./Fallsch.Jg.Ers. u. Ausb. Rgt. 1 (= Fallschirmjäger-Ersatz- und Ausbildungs Regiment 1) [21st Company of Paratroop Replacement- and Training Regiment 1)

His replacement units, as listed below that, were:

• Fl.Techn.Schule 4, Wischau (= Fliegertechnische Schule 4, Wischau) [Aviation-Technical School 4, Wischau]
    • Fallsch.Ers.Batl., Ascherleben (= Fallschirmjäger Ersatz Bataillon, Aschersleben) [Paratroop Replacement Battalion, Aschersleben]

(Wischau is the German name for Vyškov in Moravia; Aschersleben is a town in Saxony-Anhalt.)

His rank was Flieger; this was the lowest rank (a Private) in the flying branch, which included paratroops. It could be literally translated as "Flyer", although "Airman" would be a better translation.

By the way: It's interesting to note that the maiden name of Schmidt's wife was Heidrich. There was a well-known paratroop general named Richard Heidrich; makes one wonder whether they were in any way related. Of course, this can be just simple coincidence.
    Last edited by HPL2008; 06-20-2012 at 09:27 AM.

The last photo of the stain on the back of the soldbuch adds creedance for me that Schmidt may well have been a casualty of battle. It seems more than coincidental to me that the stain is in the immeadiate area of the bullet hole and not anywhere else on the book.

It would be interesting to know the last date in the book, it may indicate that something happened to him within that time period, whether WIA POW/KIA. If there are no further dates after early May 1944, might this not indicate that is the case? Furthermore, if no entry is made by German officials as to his eventual release from service or death etc. does this not prove the book was likely a battlefield pick up?

Personally I'm leaning to the chances he was KIA, possibly by the bullet that went through his soldbuch, that would make it a gruesome and unique souvenir for an allied soldier, maybe even the one that dropped him, but again, it cannot be proven but is a reasonable possibility I think.

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2