Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

KIA SS-Soldbuch

Article about: Dear Members! I would like to show You my SS Solduch. I purchased it here on E-Stand. I know it is not a rare item, but it is one of my favourite items, because of its history. Now I would l

?

Default KIA SS-Soldbuch

Dear Members!

I would like to show You my SS Solduch. I purchased it here on E-Stand. I know it is not a rare item, but it is one of my favourite items, because of its history. Now I would like to share some information about the Soldbuch and its history.

The Soldbuch was issued to Johann Zilkowsky (born 10.05.1924 in Eichwald, nowadays Debniki, in Poland). He was trained in 10. battery of SS-Artillerie-Ausbildungs-und-Ersatz-Regiment in September 1944. After the training he became member of 2. battery of the schwere SS-Artillerie-Abteilung 101. Also in September the unit was renamed to schwere SS-Artillerie-Abteilung 501. The unit took part in the operations of the battle of Bulge and later, in March 1945 in Hungary (Frühlingserwachen/Spring Awakening) as part of the I. SS-Panzerkorps. (It is the first interesting point for me, because I live in Germany, but I'm originally Hungarian )

Photos of the Soldbuch
    1. View image: Page 1 01
    2. View image: Page 1 02
    3. View image: Page 1 03
    4. View image: Page 1 04
    5. View image: Page 1 05
    6. View image: Page 1 06
    7. View image: Page 1 07
    8. View image: Page 1 08
    9. View image: Page 1 09
    10. View image: Page 1 10
    11. View image: Page 1 11
    12. View image: Page 1 12
    13. View image: Page 1 13
    14. View image: Page 1 14
    15. View image: IMG 20140501 092950

On the last, 15th picture you can see a stamp, which remained in the Solbuch, because the soldier (because of his death) couldn't use.
    According to volksbund.de, Johann Zilkowsky died/vanished in Stollhof (Austria) and was buried in Blumau (Austria). On the maps below you can see, that both are very close to the Hungarian-Austrian border.

link to volksbund.de:
    View image: zilkowsky

link to Stollhof on google map:
    View image: map01

link to Blumau on google map:
    View image: map02

(In June I'm going to travel from Germany to Hungary, so I'm going to drive to Blumau and make pictures of his grave and try to get some other information in the cemetery.)

And for last, here are two picture of an SS-Artillerie dog tag. Zilkowsky was trained in the 10. battery of SS. Artillerie-Ausbildungs-und-Ersatz-Regiment, and this dog tag is from the 11. battery of the same unit. The tag was found near Linz (Austria)

pictures:
    View image: IMG 0363
    View image: IMG 0364

I hope you liked this short story and it wasn't so boring.

Best Regards
    Gábor

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement KIA SS-Soldbuch
    P
    Many

A Pole in the SS? I thought they did not allow this? Interesting!
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

The signature on Page 22 is that of Hinrich Garbade who commanded 2./SS-s.Art.Abt 101. He died in 1992.

Quote by Wagriff View Post
    A Pole in the SS? I thought they did not allow this? Interesting!
    Not a Pole. Debniki [Eichwald] was/is part of the municipality of Strzelin [Strehlen] in Lower Silesia [Niederschlesien]. At the time, this was a Prussian province. (The region had been Prussian since 1815.)

?

Default Thank You!

Quote by hucks216 View Post
    The signature on Page 22 is that of Hinrich Garbade who commanded 2./SS-s.Art.Abt 101. He died in 1992.

WOW!!! Thank You very much!!!

?

Hello All!

After this thread a friend of mine mentioned me some problems with this SB, or better to say with the photo of the SB. He thinks, that the photo is a replaced one.

He mentioned 2 ground problems:
    1. On the photo, the colour of the shoulder board is not red, so it cannot be an artillery uniform/shoulder board, but the soldier served in an artillery unit...
    2. By the photo the stamps have a different colour than the stamp on the second page...or is he wrong?
    I'm a bit confused, because I could make photos from the back of the photo, and there is the name/signatur of the owner of the SB. I compared this signature with the other two from the SB, and I think all of them are from the same person.
    What do you think?
    Was the photo replaced or not? Or the SB is also a fake?

Thank You in advance!

Gábor
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture KIA SS-Soldbuch   KIA SS-Soldbuch  

There seem inconstancies within the style of the forming of the letters in the surname.

?

Thank you for your answer! Yes, I also see differences, but there are also simmilarities, e.g.: the writing of "Johann", and the part "owsky" from the surname.
    And I also cannot write my name two times with the same signature.

I can only say what I see. The lower signature looks more 'laboured' in the way it is done. It does not appear to flow like the top signature. Although I would agree that no-one ever writes their signature as an exact match, it would be unusual for them to miss out such things as loops at the top or bottom of the letters. Please bear in mind this is only my opinion, and I could be completely wrong. See what others have to say.

?

Thank you very much! I appreciate your help/answer!