Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

My First Soldbuch

Article about: Hello folks. Having collected Wehrpasses for some time, I decided to pick up a couple of cheap Soldbucher a few weeks ago. I'm new to these, so will have trouble translating them. I will do

He was vaccinated against (top to bottom): smallpox, typhoid fever/paratyphoid fever, dysentery, cholera and spotted fever.

As for the medical conditions for which he was treated (data on page 12/13):

He suffered from mild pleural adhesions (left lung) (12 May 1944) and gastritis (1 June 1944). These first two entries were apparently just cases of ambulatory examination and treatment; he had an X-ray on both occasions.

The other four entries cover continuous stationary treatment in a succession of four hospitals starting on 21 June 1944. The illness codes are for digestive complaints (# 22) and stomach and intestinal sickness (# 21). He was first treated at the reserve hospital in Radom (Poland), then transferred to the reserve hospital in Warsaw (Poland), then on by hospital train to the reserve hospital in Glatz [Kłodzko] (now Poland, at the time Germany) and finally by hospital train to the reserve hospital in Dresden (Germany) from which he was released on 18 August 1944.

Entry # 3 on page 23 tells us that he was then granted recovery leave from 26 August to 11 September 1944.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement My First Soldbuch
    P
    Many

Thank you all for this outpouring of information! I purchased another Soldbuch with this one, and will use what I've learned here to (hopefully) do a better job at deciphering it. I'll post that one tomorrow.

I had a sneaking suspicion that this fellow didn't see too much in the way of frontline combat, given that he was in his mid-40s at the time his Soldbuch was issued. Just because he wasn't in some prestigious or infamous regiment, or present at an iconic battle, doesn't make this document any less interesting. It's the small details of another person's life that make these documents so fascinating.

As a side note, I notice that his dental records indicate his teeth weren't in the best of shape! Johann didn't have much going for him in the way of good health, it seems.

B.B.

Hi BB, These can get addicting to collect!

Collecting these can be addictive as they show the owner and his whereabouts in most instances. Alot of history to be researched .
    I like these Soldbuchs.

Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2