Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

The SS Ausweis

Article about: This was the membership card which was kept on every member of the SS. I have three in my collection. All came out of Gdansk, Poland after the fall of communism. The first card I will show i

Default Re: The SS Ausweis

Awesome stuff guys , i would say these are realy rare , iv never seen one , cheers Raymond

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement The SS Ausweis
    P
    Many

Hi Rob, thanks and welcome to the forum!

Raymond has been busy doing some research on the names for me.

Hi Raymond, all my three came from Gdansk, Poland. I friend of mine bought a large amount of them in the early 1990's. They came out of secret Police files. The Poles used them to track down any wanted former Nazis. There were so many of them for sale, he flooded the market and the price actually went down for a while. But now they have of course shot up in value.

Cheers, Ade.

Rob
    ?

Quote by ironcross1 View Post
    Awesome stuff guys , i would say these are realy rare , iv never seen one , cheers Raymond

Here's a great little SS-Ausweis grouping I just landed on Mil321.com for a very fair price (thanks to my good friends Trevor and Raymond (both sent me an email with the link to the auction within 3 hours of one another!)

This SS-Ausweis was issued through the SS Art.Ers.Abteilung on 01 November 1940 to SS-Staffelmann Manfred Ruß, who was born on Christmas Eve, 1919. This is one of the highest SS-number Ausweis I have yet to come across, and has a great photo of Ruß wearing his SS tunic, with the runic collar tab clearly visible. It also includes a document from Russ's Hitlerjugend unit dated 18 June, 1940 stating that Ruß (a Hitlerjügend-Führer) will be released to the Waffen-SS without any objections.

What I find interesting about this Ausweis is that the rear is completely void of an authorizing signature and validation stamp - just the issue date and facsimile Himmler signature can be found on this one. This Ausweis must be one of a number of SS Art.Ers.Abt Ausweis that surfaced through a large find within the last 20 or 30 years, because I know of several other SS-Ausweis, all of which were issued through the same unit (but different companies) which are - with the obvious exceptions of name, SS number and photo – identical to one-another. Up until a few months ago I will admit that I was quite skeptical of authenticity of these Art.Ersatz-Abteilung Ausweis, however I was recently given scans of a LSSAH member’s SS-Ausweis which was sent home from Germany by a US vet in 1945 that is identical to Ruß’s; it has only the date and facsimile Himmler signature, and it is the exact same roller stamp date!

The above mentioned LSSAH Ausweis, and now the Ruß Ausweis with accompanying HJ document have me rethinking my opinion, and I now feel that these SS Art.Ers.Abteilung SS-Ausweis may very well be legitimate and original. However, I still haven’t been able to determine exactly why they do not have an authorizing signature and validation stamp (notice the line of text on the bottom of the reverse of the card that clearly states “Nur gültig mit zeitlich richtiger Beglaubigungsmarke.” I do have other SS-Ausweis without an authorizing signatures in my image archive, but they all differ in many aspects; these Art.Ers.Abt. Ausweis are almost identical!

If anyone else has images of SS-Ausweis they would like to share - especially any wihtout authorizing signatures on the reverse, please feel free to post them here.

Rob
    Last edited by Rob; 05-18-2008 at 02:49 PM.

Rob
    ?

Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture The SS Ausweis  

Rob
    ?

Rob
    ?

Rob
    ?

Rob
    ?

Hello Phil-

Yes, depending on the individual, rank, photo, etc. they can get quite expensive! Most uniform photo EM ranks SS-Ausweis sell between $250 -$500. Photos wth civilian photos tend to sell for less... but as you know there really isn't a 'set' price for anything in this hobby these days!!!

What a lot of collector's don't realize is that these are SS membership cards... 'the' card for a individual's SS membership! I can't imagine anyone wanting to get caught with one of these in their possession post-May 1945, so naturally I would assume that many were destroyed. The majority of the Ausweis on the market today came out of personnel files taken out of post-war archives in various countries, kept as evidence in tracking down, identifying and prosecuting war criminals... some have come from the German vets themselves, and there have even been a few that I know of that have turned up from Allied veterans!

Rob

Hi Rob, that is a nice addition to your collection.

I would have been concerned too re the lack of stamps etc, but now you have confirmed a Vet obtained on was found the same I would not worry.

Cheers, Ade.

I would like to add one of my SS ID cards which I recently bought. It shows quiet well how the owner has tried to destroy it in the last moment shortly before the Allies came in town. It was saved from the flames actually in the last second from a little Hitler Youth boy who kept it for several decades - and of course for us !

The photo shows the owner wearing his black service tunic and the early service hat with the chinless skull of the early period before 1935. Please note the chevron on his right upper arm that indicates membership in the SS before 1933.

Fortunately the fire wasn´t able to destroy important parts of the card so it still is a nice collectable item.
    Attached Images Attached Images The SS Ausweis  The SS Ausweis 

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast