Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Wehrmacht Soldbuch

Article about: Hi all, can anyone tell me about this guy? Like what he did and so on. My dad just got this from the vets nephew and I cant read German. It also look's like there are blood stains on the rig

Default Wehrmacht Soldbuch

Hi all, can anyone tell me about this guy? Like what he did and so on. My dad just got this from the vets nephew and I cant read German. It also look's like there are blood stains on the right side of the cover, which is possible because the vet said he took it from a dead German
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Wehrmacht Soldbuch  
    Attached Images Attached Images Wehrmacht Soldbuch  Wehrmacht Soldbuch  Wehrmacht Soldbuch 

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Wehrmacht Soldbuch
    P
    Many

Default Re: Wehrmacht Soldbuch

More...
    Attached Images Attached Images Wehrmacht Soldbuch  Wehrmacht Soldbuch  Wehrmacht Soldbuch  Wehrmacht Soldbuch 

It is a replacement solduch (see the word 'zweitschrift' at the top of page 1 underlined in red) to a corporal & it was issued by Auklarangs Ersatz Abt 18 (a reconnaissance replacement & training unit for another unit). He may of needed a replacement due to his first one being too damaged, lost in action or even too full. With regards to the Heer & Waffen-SS the soldbuch was required to be carried at all times, even in combat, so it was easy for them to be dirty/torn/water stained etc.
    Aufklärungs-Ersatz-Abteilung 18 - Lexikon der Wehrmacht
    ...&...
    Aufklärungs-Ersatz-Abteilung 18 - Lexikon der Wehrmacht
    (You will need to use a Google translator to give you the gist of the above two links)
    ...and it was issued on 1st June 1944. Are there any other entries in the soldbuch?
    If you use this website it will guide you through a soldbuch and show you what each page contains...
    Welcome to Soldbuchweb
    I have done a search on the Volksbund database and there is no-one listed as Dittman/Dittmann/Dittmar and with that birth date (18th November 1912) as being killed (however, as comprehensive as the database is it isn't complete.) The place name next to his birth date at the top of page 2 is where he was born. It looks like it was in the Harz region.
    It looks like the last unit he served with was a Marschschwadron of Aufklärungs-Ersatz- und Ausbildungs-Abteilung 18 (literally March Squadron of Reconnaissance Replacement & Training Detachment/Section 18) which was a temporary unit that men were assigned to while they were en-route to another unit, maybe to provide replacements for a unit at the front etc.
    Last edited by hucks216; 06-24-2010 at 10:01 PM.

Thank you very much That helps alot!

There are a few more entries, I'll post them tomarrow.

I wonder if this guy still has family alive?

Juergen
    ?

Hi there is an Official Place "WASt" in Berlin germany (see on net) the deal with former german Soldiers Records!
    Maybe that helps?
    best Regards Jurgen

Juergen
    ?

I can translate Stuff for you?(being a native German!)
    regards Jurgen

Quote by Juergen View Post
    Hi there is an Official Place "WASt" in Berlin germany (see on net) the deal with former german Soldiers Records!
    Maybe that helps?
    best Regards Jurgen
    The only problem with WASt is that they have little time for collectors and generally only provide information to Next Of Kiin etc.

Juergen
    ?

Hi hucks-I see I know it takes up to 6 month there waiting Time -there are other Offices-maybe worth to found living family members?I think wast will be helpfull if you point that out?
    best Jurgen

In civillian life he was maried to Lydia Dietrich and he was an electrician, with Bloodtype B, and size 2 for a gasmask

Quote by Juergen View Post
    Hi hucks-I see I know it takes up to 6 month there waiting Time -there are other Offices-maybe worth to found living family members?I think wast will be helpfull if you point that out?
    best Jurgen
    The problem is that WASt do not reply to any correspondence so if they don't take on your case you won't know. Plus I have also known of cases where collectors have contacted WASt saying something along the lines of "I have a soldbuch to Soldier X and I was wondering if you can help me with information?" only to get the reply back "If you pass us the soldbuch we would be happy to pass it on to the family."
    And tracking down the family and contacting them can open a whole can of worms - what if they don't want to be contacted and reminded of a relative from the war, or they suddenly think that they have a god given right to have the soldbuch returned to them (not ideal if a collector has paid hard earned money for it)? Again, I have known of cases where this has happened and the relative has tried to play the 'emotional blackmail card' only to reveal at a later point that he was actually the person who sold the soldbuch in the first place a few years previously (although if in this case it was taken from the body then that is abit different, but again how would the German relatives take to receiving correspondence from someone who received the soldbuch from someone that basically looted their relatives dead body - especially if that body has never been recovered and has no known burial place?!) But on the flip side they might be delighted to be contacted, and would be happy to share photos of the relative in his war service in exchange for scans of the soldbuch.
    Like I said, it is something that needs to be carefully thought about.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast