Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Wehrpass: Gustav Geer - Luftwaffe - Flak-Strum-Regiment 20

Article about: Received a new Wehrpass today. This young gentleman was a member of Flak-Strum-Regiment 20, and was active in France during D-Day. The seller tells me he participated in the Normandy invasio

If you can find out where a unit was so can a faker.

Without the awards and the exciting unit history, what would it be worth for the sake of a some handwritten entries and a little bit of research.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Wehrpass: Gustav Geer - Luftwaffe - Flak-Strum-Regiment 20
    P
    Many

Quote by Anon View Post
    If you can find out where a unit was so can a faker.

Without the awards and the exciting unit history, what would it be worth for the sake of a some handwritten entries and a little bit of research.
    True. And this may be a fake, I won't dispute that. Though I wonder if we end up having to take in faith that even the best of these hasn't had that done to them at some point?

We go by the evidence, and I can understand why this one would be questioned. That said, I'd be more let down by the activity being faked than the awards. That's the part I was most enjoying finding out about, even if any faking/embellishing would destroy the value. At this point that may be moot as it was a private forum purchase from Germany.

It may be one of those learning experiences going forward, which is a shame as I was starting to really dig this pass.

Items that allow you to research an individual and/or unit add an extra dimension to collecting which unnamed items don't have.

A shame if it is a fake or has been enhanced and after all it is only an opinion so lets hope it is all good. I don't collect such as this and I do not claim to be up on them, only having one in my collection.
    Regards,

Jerry

Thanks Anon. I appreciate the help, even if it's bad news.

I asked HPL2008 if he could spare a moment to look at it. I gather he's the expert on these things in our parts. I just know enough about these to be dangerous.

Here are the interesting bits from my example, no big awards etc but a nice mixture of handwritten and stamped unit markings and it was included in with a bargain buy, so not faked
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Wehrpass: Gustav Geer - Luftwaffe - Flak-Strum-Regiment 20  
    Regards,

Jerry

Nice Anon! I love that it's a Goring regiment. I have 3 other passes that are a lot like yours.

I felt a bit curious when I saw this one had so few stamps when in hand, but it did seem like it was a reissue, before Hucks said it was. But I thought who in the world would fake a Luftwaffe Flak solider, and only up to an EK1? And they certainly did their research, as even the page 12 unit assignments and dates line up with much of the unit activity on the battle movement pages in pencil, and the unit records I've been reviewing.

One more thing on this one. I looked at the awards under my magnifier headset. The ink used was definitely not a modern ballpoint at least. It has the bleed you would expect from other types of pen, 2 slightly different shade of black between the EK2, and the EK1 + Ground Assault badge.

Again, would you use a ball point if you are faking though I think they were around during WWII, easy to do it with a fountain pen or pencil.

Everything is faked and if half an hours work doing some research on the net and another half hour with pen and pencil convert a £20 paper item into a £50 item, then not bad for an hours work.
    Regards,

Jerry

Nope, and I'd hope they wouldn't be foolish enough to use a ballpoint. That would have made it easy to discount at least that part, but they didn't make it that easy.

Anyway, I guess at this point the consensus is it's been embellished. So, who knows what's real and what isn't in it at this point, from D-day on with this one....

Not sure what's the more frustrating, losing the money, or knowing there are people out there desecrating historical artifacts like this. Mr. Geer definitely does not deserve this sort of treatment, and history should not be tampered with. They clearly don't have the same respect for it you and I have.

Lets wait for some more opinions, perhaps I am being too suspicious.

Sadly people are messing with original items to make money, there is one seller on ebay who has made a profession of doing it.
    Regards,

Jerry

The last entry in ink states that he was stationed in Germany for duties in Homeland Anti-Aircraft Protection...then suddenly in pencil, we have a war hero taking part in almost every major engagement on the Western Front...just doesn't jive in my opinion...I am fluent in German and encourage you to contact me before purchasing a German language document in the future...I'm always happy to help a fellow Gold Club Member...
    cheers, Glenn

- - ------- - -
    Last edited by bigmacglenn; 11-16-2014 at 08:15 PM.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast