Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Wehrpass to I.R 199 "list"

Article about: Hi, I recently acquired this wehrpass as part of a deal on a few bits , this is the first one I have owned and I wonder if I can ask you some questions in relation to the general layout and

That's some really great information stewy , I thought he may have served in Poland initially then France and died there but I'm surprised to hear Russia , maybe this is where he died in 41 in the first months of the campaign.

Cheers John

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Wehrpass to I.R 199 "list"
    P
    Many

His name was Erich Schimang; his last rank was Unteroffizier der Reserve.

A commercial employee by civilian trade, unmarried and of Catholic faith, he was born on 28 Sept. 1919 in Freiburg im Breisgau and KIA on 9th Aug. 1941 on the Eastern Front due to a direct artillery hit.

Schimang joined up in October 1939. After basic training and some service in Germany until 12th May 1940, he then fought in the Western Campaign (France, Luxembourg, Belgium) with subsequent occupation- and coastal defense duties in France until 30th April 1941, followed by occupation duties in Poland from 1 May until 21 June 1941 before being deployed to the Eastern Front where he met his fate.

He may've been killed in the battle of Uman. 57 Inf. Div. was there that was around August '41. Stewy

Thank you very much for the detailed translation , it's great to no exactly how the war was for this young man that met a sad end , it's these details I find fascinating and great to finely find out his name , I'm going to search for information on the 57 inf div , I'm interested to find out more .
    Thanks again gents for taking a look

Cheers John

His body has never been recovered and still lies in its field grave.
    Here is his Volksbund entry...

Wehrpass to I.R 199 "list"

Poor guy and so young , thanks hucks this wouid explain the direct artillery hit

Cheers John

I was in a bit of a hurry yesterday. Here is his full service history now:

• 12 Dec. 39 - 12 May 40*: Employed in the homeland
    • 11 May 40* - 26 May 40: Advance through Luxembourg, Belgium and Northern France
    • 27 May 40 - 4 June 40: Defensive fighting at the line and the bridgeheads of Abbeville and Amiens
    • 5 June 40 - 8 June 40: Breakthrough battle at the Somme and offensive pursuit to the Seine
    • 9 June 40 - Annihilation battle at Dieppe and St. Valery
    • 10 June 40 - 25 June 40: Employed in the theater of operations during the battle of France
    • 26 June 40 - 2 July 40: Occupation duty in Northwestern France
    • 2 July 40: Coastal defense duty at the French Channel- and Atlantic Coast
    • 22 Oct. 40 - 30 April 41: Costal defense duty at the French Channel- and Atlantic Coast
    • 1 May 41 - 21 June 41: Security duty in the Generalgouvernement [i.e. occupied Poland]
    • 22 June 41 - 9 Aug. 41: Russian Campaign

*) The actual dates in the document. One has to be wrong due to their overlap. Also, note that the second and third entries in the document are in the wrong order; I have put them in the correct chronological sequence.
    Last edited by HPL2008; 02-14-2016 at 02:03 PM.

Thank You very much for taking the time to translate the wehrpass for me , it's a great insight into this young lads story during the war and the fact that he met a sad end and is still lying unrecovered on the battlefield really brings that personal story home to me , I have been reading much information on 57 inf Div and army group south as they started there campaign in Russia it's great to be able to look into his service history and the places he was during the war , once again many thanks.

Cheers John

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2