Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Wehrpass - Leopold Hofstatter KIA - with death notification letter

Article about: Here are a couple of maps showing the movements of 340 ID. The first one shows the 'overall' picture while the second one is showing a close up of the main map but concentrated on the area t

Default Wehrpass - Leopold Hofstatter KIA - with death notification letter

I picked up this wehrpass for what I think was a heer butcher. With it came the original military file copy of the letter sent to his wife notifying her of his death, and another document that kind of sounds like it's about the tendering of documents and the wehrpass over to his wife (not certain about that).

I typed up the documents in Google translate, and got back enough to get an idea of what happened to him. I'm not sure if the truck he was in hit a mine, or if he stepped on one. It sounds like he suffered a major foot injury, which leads me to think he may have stepped on one..

In any case, I'll let the document speak for itself from here. I've scanned all pages that have information on them.

The letter:

Front:

Back:

Letter translation:

In the East, April 10, 44

to Mrs.
    Olga Hofstötter
    Vienna 18.Gentzgasse 48
    o / the local branch of the NSDAP

Deeply moved I must like to inform that your husband, Corporal Leop. Hofstotter on 1 April for leaders and people died a hero's death.

Her husband was only a few days company member, but had already settled in well, especially since he was transferred with several companions of his old unit to the company.

During a relocation of the transit of Komp trucks, on which her husband was, early in the morning on a mine.

Her husband was doing heavy foot injuries. Despite immediate medical help he could not stay alive, he passed away after being admitted to the hospital, on the same day at 11 o'clock forenoon, without having regained consciousness.

The company loses in him a good comrade, our people a fighter for a better future.

The funeral took place on the same day under full military honor at the military cemetery of the Military Hospital.

To the severe loss of you concerned, I speak to you on behalf of the company extend my deepest condolences.

With the German greeting
    Your always devoted
    Stohl mp. Lieutenant.

Letter back page:

On the envelope:
    department
    Feldp.Nr.38482
    Field post stamp: Field Post 054 12.4.443.

to Mrs.
    Olga Hofstotter
    651 via the local group d.NSDAP
    responsible for Vienna 18 Gantzgasse 48
    L.S. : Department
    Field post number 38482
    back:
    Postmark: ... Vienna 110 17.IV.44.19 5a

This copy is consistent with the previously listed Urshcrift me together with the corresponding envelope. - Vienna, 11 (eleventh) July 1944 (one thousand nine hundred forty four).

The other document:

Other document translation:

May 24, 1944
    Military recruiting office Vienna 4

Wine XVIII/110 Lallareeagaffe 40

Mrs. Olga Hofstotter in Vienna XVIII. Gentzgasse 48

In the complex, the military recruiting office Vienna presented 4 the service record of the fallen 1.4.1944 (deceased) husband and wife (name and rank) Leopold Hofstotter. Corporal.

Captain and w.b.o.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Wehrpass - Leopold Hofstatter KIA - with death notification letter
    P
    Many

WOW So intense !! What a great piece of Identity..and supportive documents. Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Leopold Hofstötter's body has never been recovered and still remains in its field grave in the area of Kamenka in the Ukraine.

Nachname:Hofstötter
    Vorname:Leopold
    Dienstgrad:Gefreiter
    Geburtsdatum:25.01.1902
    Geburtsort:Grafenberg
    Todes-/Vermisstendatum:01.04.1944
    Todes-/Vermisstenort: Fela 654 mot. (Feld-Lazarett 654 (mot.)) Kamionka-Str.

Sounds like he was a victim of the partisans operating behind German lines.

hucks216, great info. Thanks so much for digging that up!

Can you tell if it was a mine, and if so if he drove over it or stepped on it?

It seems that the vehicle he was on hit a mine.

Thanks! The missing pieces are all in place now.

Quote by avenger View Post
    Can you tell if it was a mine, and if so if he drove over it or stepped on it?
    The letter to the widow states that he rode as a passenger on a truck, which ran over a mine early in the morning.

By the way, you're right: He was a butcher, both by civilian trade and later as his military occupational specialty.

Can you read the religion line? I'm curious what that says, but it's so hard to read.

Quote by avenger View Post
    Can you read the religion line? I'm curious what that says, but it's so hard to read.
    It says "ggl", which is the abbreviation for "gottgläubig". It literally means "believing in God" and was used at the time as the designation for those who had left the churches, but declared themselves as non-atheists.

You guys rock! Thanks HPL2008, I would have never figured that out on his religion.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast