Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Wehrpaß Obergefreiter Alfred Koch - 376th Infantry Reg : Close Combat Clasp, others

Article about: Here's a Wehrpass for Obergefreiter Alfred Koch. Mr. Koch was awarded the Demjanks Sheild, black and silver wound badges, EK2, Infantry Assault badge in silver, and the Close Combat Clasp in

Default Wehrpaß Obergefreiter Alfred Koch - 376th Infantry Reg : Close Combat Clasp, others

Here's a Wehrpass for Obergefreiter Alfred Koch. Mr. Koch was awarded the Demjanks Sheild, black and silver wound badges, EK2, Infantry Assault badge in silver, and the Close Combat Clasp in bronze. Included with the pass were a few photos, and a couple of medical documents. I'm not yet sure what's written on the back of document 1.

One oddity on the pass, is the dismissal page is filled out and dated 1939, which is before most of his activity. Perhaps this is explained elsewhere in the pass? If I understand it right, he was put in the reserves, and perhaps called up. There is also a new page glued over the printed page on the inside back (page 52). Evidently there was a change, and it was important enough to paste the updated version over this page.

In the last photo are the photos, and what looks like a loose activity addenda, but it looks to be the same as the typed out activity that is written in on page 32-33. Only pages in the pass with something on them are shown.

Please enjoy! Comments as always are also welcome.

Wehrpaß Obergefreiter Alfred Koch - 376th Infantry Reg : Close Combat Clasp, others

Document 1:FRONT

Document 1: BACK

Document 2:

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Wehrpaß Obergefreiter Alfred Koch - 376th Infantry Reg : Close Combat Clasp, others
    P
    Many

Quote by avenger View Post
    One oddity on the pass, is the dismissal page is filled out and dated 1939, which is before most of his activity. Perhaps this is explained elsewhere in the pass? If I understand it right, he was put in the reserves, and perhaps called up.
    Yes, Scott, that's right.

Mr. Koch was born in 1910, making him (obviously) too young to have served in WWI. After WWI, conscription was abolished and only re-introduced in 1935, at which time he was 25 years of age. This was above the standard call-up age of 20, making him a member of the so-called "weiße Jahrgänge" ("white age groups") who had never undergone regular compulsory military service. In order to build up the Wehrmacht's reserve components, such men were called up for condensed, short-term military service in addtion to the regular conscripts who served the full two year terms.

Koch had his draft board physical examination as a Dienstpflichtiger [person subject to compulsory service] on 26 August 1938 (he was aged 28 by then), when he was found fit for duty and taken into the Ersatzreserve I [replacement reserve, category I].

On 15 May 1939, he was called up for active duty with IR 26, with length of service recorded as counting from the same date. His military medical examination was on 16 May 1939 and he took his oath on 24 May 1939.

After three months of duty, he was discharged on 14 August 1939 as a Schütze der Reserve [private of the reserves] and effective of the following day (15 August 1939) transferred to the Reserve II [reserve, category II].

Temporarily back to civilian life, he reported to the Kiel draft board on 24 Aug. 1939.

After the outbreak of war, he was mobilized and found himself back in uniform by 4 Sept. 1939.

Included with the pass were a few photos, and a couple of medical documents. I'm not yet sure what's written on the back of document 1.
    These are remarks by a medical officer, who attests that Koch had suffered a hernia, which had been fixed by surgery. Koch was to remain with the convalescent company for 6 weeks, during which he was fit for light guard duty only, as physical exertion could lead to the sutures bursting.

(Document 2 is from the convalescent company, stating that he had been with this unit since 18 June 43 and, following full convalescence, was to be transferred back to his regular unit as of 17 Sept. 43.)

Thank you HPL2008! It appears the hernia didn't prevent him from seeing a good deal of action from which he acquired a number of awards. Interesting that he was drafted too. I hope to go through his combat activity tonight. I see the word Leningrad in there which could be interesting. Unfortunately, the Heer unit activities don't appear to be as well documented online as the Luftwaffe was, as far as I can tell.

Thanks again sir!

Scott

One other question, would there be another page showing his final discharge since the usual page was already filled out, or did that not end up in this one?

I hope to go through his combat activity tonight. I see the word Leningrad in there which could be interesting.
    That's right. The entry in question says:

"13 Jan. 42 - 21 Jan. 42: Defense against the Russian Wolchow offensive and relief of Leningrad"

Good luck with your studies. Allow me to remark that I appreciate your honest efforts to understand and seriously research the data in your documents. Unfortunately, too many collectors can't be bothered with that and either expect the information to be handed to them or, worse, don't care about it at all.

One other question, would there be another page showing his final discharge since the usual page was already filled out, or did that not end up in this one?
    For whatever reason, the data is not present in this particular document, but it would be odd if it was supposed to be absent. Personally, I would expect that information to appear on the "Nachträge" [addenda] pages of section IV. (But I'm really not an expert on the finer points of Wehrpass entries.)
    Last edited by HPL2008; 11-30-2014 at 06:10 PM.

... Unfortunately, the Heer unit activities don't appear to be as well documented online as the Luftwaffe was, as far as I can tell.

Scott
    You will be surprised at the information that is available on the web with regards to Wehrmacht units. Obviously some are far more covered than others but with a little Google-Fu and knowing some 'go to' sites you will be able to build a picture.
    For instance, this should be your first port of call... Lexikon der Wehrmacht
    ...and within it you can find this information for IR 376... Lexikon der Wehrmacht
    ...and the parent unit of 225 Infanterie-Division... Lexikon der Wehrmacht - 225. Infanterie-Division

And then you have the Axis History site that is both a database and forum. So for 225 ID we have this entry...
    225. Infanterie-Division - Axis History

...and so with just two sites not only do you know the general operating areas of the unit but also it's order of battle and the men within it who won the high awards.
    And if you scroll down to the bottom of the pages you will see a list of sources that you can hunt down to give you more details (if still available.)

Quote by HPL2008 View Post
    Good luck with your studies. Allow me to remark that I appreciate your honest efforts to understand and seriously research the data in your documents. Unfortunately, too many collectors can't be bothered with that and either expect the information to be handed to them or, worse, don't care about it at all.
    Thank you HPL2008. I'm afraid I'd still be totally in the dark on these, or finding it much harder, without the guidance of you and Hucks, and the other folks that pop in from time to time on these like Glen. I really appreciate the help. It would be a shame to have these, and never bother to look into them. Uncovering the layers upon layers of information in these little booklets, paint a slightly more complete picture of history. It's like a little treasure hunt each time, with knowledge being the currency we're after, and the treasure just begging to be found. I really enjoy it, and haven't had much of a chance to dig into this one past posting it here. We've been keeping busy this weekend with the holidays and I've been building shelving in our garage for my wife's hobbies, while it's been so warm. It was in the 70's these past few days here, which is very unseasonable here. Seems like there's never enough time in the day.

For whatever reason, the data is not present in this particular document, but it would be odd if it was supposed to be absent. Personally, I would expect that information to appear on the "Nachträge" [addenda] pages of section IV. (But I'm really not an expert on the finer points of Wehrpass entries.)
    It appears from a quick look at the unit areas of activity, they were at the Kurland pocket. This would indicate they would probably have surrendered to the Russians at that time. Perhaps the added dismissal never got entered as the soldier's unit were now prisoners of the Soviets, making it difficult to carry on with such business? Just speculation on my part of course.

Quote by hucks216 View Post
    You will be surprised at the information that is available on the web with regards to Wehrmacht units. Obviously some are far more covered than others but with a little Google-Fu and knowing some 'go to' sites you will be able to build a picture.
    For instance, this should be your first port of call... Lexikon der Wehrmacht
    ...and within it you can find this information for IR 376... Lexikon der Wehrmacht
    ...and the parent unit of 225 Infanterie-Division... Lexikon der Wehrmacht - 225. Infanterie-Division

And then you have the Axis History site that is both a database and forum. So for 225 ID we have this entry...
    225. Infanterie-Division - Axis History

...and so with just two sites not only do you know the general operating areas of the unit but also it's order of battle and the men within it who won the high awards.
    And if you scroll down to the bottom of the pages you will see a list of sources that you can hunt down to give you more details (if still available.)
    Perfect! Thanks Hucks! I'm looking forward to getting a moment to pour through all these and map out what this soldier took part in. I like to keep this research on file so I will always have it with these passes. This will make for an excellent lead. Much appreciated. You have reminded me I should do a better job of noting the commanders and notable soldiers in these units in my documentation. I may not recognize these people now, but who knows what will stand out later as I absorb the history.

Scott had PM'd me about assistance with the entries in section 39/page 46. They say:

"Fortsetzung von Seite 33

14.1.44 - 28.4.44
    Abwehrschlacht in Nordrußland
    und an der Baltischen Lücke

14.1.44 - 10.2.44
    Abwehrschlacht vor Leningrad
    Rückzugskämpfe auf Pleskau

11.2. - 23.4.44
    1. Abwehrschlacht an der Narwa

24.4. - 21.6.44
    Stellungskämpfe im
    Bereich der H.Gr.
    [= Heeresgruppe] Nord

22.6. - 23.11.44
    - " -
    (nähere Gef. Bez.
    [= Gefechtsbezeichnungen]
    liegen noch nicht vor.)"

...meaning:

"continued from page 33

14.1.44 - 28.4.44
    Defensive battle in Northern Russia
    and at the Baltic gap

14.1.44 - 10.2.44
    Defensive battle ahead of Leningrad
    Fighting retreat to Pleskau

11.2. - 23.4.44
    1st defensive battle by the Narva

24.4. - 21.6.44
    position warfare in the
    area of Army Group 'North'

22.6. - 23.11.44
    ditto
    (exact designations for the engagements
    are not yet available.)
    "

Thank you HPL2008! As usual, I'm further in your debt.

This seems like an abrupt end to the activity with the implication of later updating. I wonder if the reason they never picked it back up could be because they never got another chance to update things after the last entry as they were in retreat and defense like the rest of the German army at this time, and I know eventually captured by Russia according to the military record. Seems like the Russians would allow far less opportunity for record keeping than had the western allies captured them...

Interestingly enough though, the CCC in bronze was dated in Dec. 1944 (after the last combat activity entry), and there are unit entries in 1945. So, somebody was able to do some record keeping at least.

Entries that we don't find in the pass would likely have cooresponded (and ended) with activity regarding this:

At the start of Operation Barbarossa in 1941, Courland, along with the rest of the Baltic, was overrun by Army Group North headed by Field Marshal Wilhelm Ritter von Leeb. In 1944, the Red Army lifted the siege of Leningrad and re-conquered the Baltic area along with much of Ukraine and Belarus. However, some 200,000 German troops held out in Courland. With their backs to the Baltic Sea. they were trapped in what became known as the Courland Pocket, blockaded by the Red Army and the Red Baltic Fleet. Colonel-General Heinz Guderian, the Chief of the German General Staff, pleaded with Adolf Hitler that the troops in Courland be evacuated by sea and used for the defense of Germany. Hitler refused, and ordered the Wehrmacht, Waffen-SS, Luftwaffe and Kriegsmarine forces in Courland to continue the defence of the area. Hitler believed them necessary to protect Kriegsmarine submarine bases along the Baltic coast. On January 15, 1945, Army Group Courland (Heeresgruppe Kurland) was formed under Colonel-General Dr. Lothar Rendulic. The blockade by elements of the Leningrad Front remained until May 8, 1945, when the Army Group Courland, then under its last commander, Colonel-General Carl Hilpert, surrendered to Marshal Leonid Govorov, the commander of the Leningrad Front (reinforced by elements of the 2nd Baltic Front) on the Courland perimeter. At this time the group consisted of the remnants of some 31 divisions. After May 9, 1945, approximately 203,000 troops of Army Group Courland began moving to Soviet prison camps in the East. The majority of them never returned to Germany (Haupt,1997).

As a personal note regarding my research in these passes, it's becoming clear to me that Hitler was a great statesman, and a very poor general. What possible use were submarine bases at this stage in the war? The wolf pack was essentially out of commission for any practical purposes.

?

Scott i can only reiterate what Andreas has said regarding your own personal efforts to understand and research the documents you are collecting , it realy surproises me the amount of people who do not understand a word of German who purchase documents , then make no effort to learn any German at all or use any of the links that have been provided in the expectation that others will provide all the information for them !!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast