Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here

Wehrpass, Oderbruch

Article about: Hello Everyone. I have recently purchased a wehrpass to a Luftwaffe soldier who in 1945 was transferred to the infantry and fought near Stettin on the Oder. I was hoping someone would be abl

Default Wehrpass, Oderbruch

Hello Everyone.

I have recently purchased a wehrpass to a Luftwaffe soldier who in 1945 was transferred to the infantry and fought near Stettin on the Oder.

I was hoping someone would be able to help me with deciphering which unit(s) he was with during the last months of the war. Of course any other information would be most welcome.

Many thanks

Robin

Wehrpass, Oderbruch
    Wehrpass, Oderbruch
    Wehrpass, Oderbruch
    Wehrpass, Oderbruch
    Wehrpass, Oderbruch
    Wehrpass, Oderbruch
    Wehrpass, Oderbruch
    Wehrpass, Oderbruch
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Wehrpass, Oderbruch   Wehrpass, Oderbruch  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Wehrpass, Oderbruch
    P
    Many

The Wehrpass has been posted at the link with some relevant information from the responders. The main late war unit is Grenadier-Regiment Gartz 2 - possibly relates to 547.Volksgrenadier-Division:
    Grenadier Regiment Garz - Einheiten des Heeres - Forum der Wehrmacht

547.VGD - Lexikon der Wehrmacht - 547. Volks-Grenadier-Division

Many Thanks Hucks, Thats some where for me to start..

Possibly named after the area it fought in:

Vom 20.3.45 bis 20.4.45 Einsatz/ Neuaufstellung an der Oderfront im Raum Ziegenort- bis nördl. Stettin/Kampfpause.
    Um den 15.4.45 herum beabsichtigte offenbar die HG „Weichsel“(oder Pz. A.O.K 3) die Verlegung der 549. VGD aus den Raum Stettin in den Raum westlich Gartz (Kasekow - Woltersdorf) in den Bereich XXXXVI Pz.- Korps zu Schaffung einer Eingriffreserve und beantragte diese Maßnahme beim OKH, dessen Genehmigung dafür am 17.4.45 erteilt wurde.
    Die Verlegung der Masse der Division zu XXXXVI Pz. Korps wurde offenbar durch den Angriffsbeginn der Sowjets am 20.4. zunichte gemacht und der Verband blieb im Raum Stettin.
    Vom 21.4. bis 2.5.1945 Abwehr- und Rückzugskämpfe westlich und südwestlich Stettin bei Kurow, Nieder- und Hohenzahden, Absetzten über Straßburg- Heinrichswalde (28.4.1945) auf Friedland (29.4.45), weiter über die Linie Krakow-Güstrow-Bützow auf de US-Demarkationslinie im Raum nördlich Schwerin. Die Reste der Division kommen hier in amerikanische Gefangenschaft (2.5.1945).

Thema anzeigen - 549.Volksgrenadierdivision - Panzer-Archiv

Great information Hucks. Many thanks for that

The fighting and movement around Gartz is covered a fair bit in The Oder Front Vol 1 by Stephan Hamilton.

Thanks Hucks. I have that volume in my library and will have a good trawl through later today. I was in the Kustrin/Seelowe part of the Oderbruch in December visiting where the 303 Doberitz Division fought (of which I have a Soldbuch). Next visit I will have to visit Gartz.

Gives you a good reason to go back.
    I'm sure I have seen a Soldbuch to Gren.Rgt Gartz recently on another forum but I can't find it now.

Lage Ost situation map for 1st April 1945 (from Lexikon):

Wehrpass, Oderbruch

Great map. Many thanks for all your help. hen I have finished my research to which you have greatly helped I will post it all in the forum.