Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Wehrpaß - Panzer

Article about: Hello folks. The second of two recent additions to my growing collection of German identity documents. This one belonging to a gentleman named Rolf. Neither I nor the seller was able to read

One of the many lost on the Eastern Front. The disparity between East and West when it came to body recovery really is quite jarring. Although I'd imagine with the savagery of the fighting, and the iron-hard ground during the winter, recovering the dead and giving them a proper burial would have been difficult at best, impossible at worst.

B.B.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Wehrpaß - Panzer
    P
    Many

Quote by BrodieBartfast View Post
    One of the many lost on the Eastern Front. The disparity between East and West when it came to body recovery really is quite jarring. Although I'd imagine with the savagery of the fighting, and the iron-hard ground during the winter, recovering the dead and giving them a proper burial would have been difficult at best, impossible at worst.

B.B.
    Many burial places were not recorded as the German bodies couldn't be recovered by their own side once they were lost on the battlefield as the Germans lost the ground when being pushed back and retreating.
    Not just that but after the Russians retook their land they would destroy German cemeteries by ripping out the crosses and leaving nature to take its course or use it as farm land.

Quote by hucks216 View Post
    Many burial places were not recorded as the German bodies couldn't be recovered by their own side once they were lost on the battlefield as the Germans lost the ground when being pushed back and retreating.
    Not just that but after the Russians retook their land they would destroy German cemeteries by ripping out the crosses and leaving nature to take its course or use it as farm land.
    Unfortunate, but war is nothing if not ugly. The inability to recover and bury lost comrades must have been crushing for morale, and that on top of being driven relentlessly back across ground they had already fought for.

B.B.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2