Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Werhpass to Ewald Messerschmidt. Polish Casualty 10/09/39. Panzers?

Article about: Hi Hucks216, I've found this ref on the net Wylatowo - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Cheers, Richard.

Default Re: Werhpass to Ewald Messerschmidt. Polish Casualty 10/09/39. Panzers?

Hi Hucks216, I've found this ref on the net Wylatowo - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Cheers, Richard.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Werhpass to Ewald Messerschmidt. Polish Casualty 10/09/39. Panzers?
    P
    Many

Thanks for that. It is certainly possible that it does relate to The Battle Of The Bzura. The Germans knew it as The Battle Of Kutno and if you look at the first image the green arrow indicates the path of a German unit (3 Armeekorps) heading towards Kutno. If you look at the second image I have done from Google Earth, that line of advance is roughly in league of where Wylatowo lies.
    Also in tha map (taken from Wiki) you can see that border units are mentioned in securing an area called the Poznan Salient (I have marked it with a red star). Maybe Grenzwacht Rgt 12 were advancing to take up these duties.

Finally I have attached a close up image of Wylatowo from Google Earth so you get a very basic idea of where the man fell.

Thanks Huck216, that's brilliant, Cheers, Richard.

that is nice early Poland casualty WP

Thanks Justin P. I was pleased to get it, Cheers, Richard.

I have finally dug out my copy of Case White by William Russ and it does have information on these units, although it is very brief (so far).

Pg 10
    "The Netze Brigade was formed from 2 border guard regiments and other army units for the purpose of providing III Armeekorps with additional infantry support."
    Pg 10
    "Group Medem was a special unit formed for the specific mission of proceeding from its base at Marienburg, East Prussia, at the beginning of the campaign to Tczew in Poland and seize the bridge over the Vistula to facilitate the eastward advance of the panzers of 4 Armee. The brigade was organised with one battalion of border guard troops, one ersatz infantry battalion, one battery of artillery, one motorised machinegun company and one motorised engineer battalion"

Pg 12/13
    "The Border Guard regiments were units that were responsible during peacetime for maintaining the security of the Reich's international borders. Since these units were already in a semi-militarised state they could be used as defensive forces in times of war and help secure the rear areas after the main army units had moved through and in some cases used to help give manpower support to the armies (Group Netze under the 4 Armee being a good example). Normally all border guard regiments were under the control of a regional border guard command (equivalent to a Corps sized HQ). Organizationally each regiment would control three border guard battalions, one company of engineers (specifically called 'sperrier pionier' or 'blockade engineers' in English), one compant of anti-tank guns and one motorised transport echelon. The quality of these units were of low value and their equipment was all second hand issue"

No mention of the particular regiment in the Wehrpass (yet) but at least it gives an idea of what it may well of been tasked for during the invasion.

Cheers Huck216, thanks for taking the time to post the excellent info, All The Best, Richard.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2