Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Allgemeine SS pic on ebay..

Article about: Ok, there is this pic for sale on ebay right now, I have never seen a pic like this with the letter " R " behind the rank collar tab. What would this be, and has anyone else seen t

Default Allgemeine SS pic on ebay..

Ok, there is this pic for sale on ebay right now, I have never seen a pic like this with the letter " R " behind the rank collar tab.

What would this be, and has anyone else seen this before.

Brian
    Attached Images Attached Images Allgemeine SS pic on ebay.. 

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Allgemeine SS pic on ebay..
    P
    Many

?

Default Re: Allgemeine SS pic on ebay..

Now that is an interesting photo. I have not seen anything like that before. Possibly incorrectly worn?
    W.

Nice photo!

It shows the "R" insignia for the Reserve Sturmbann in an SS Fuss Standarten. Worn by members of the active reserves. This tab was worn both behind the numbered collar tab and also as seen here, behind the rank tab.

Cheers, Ade.

Thanks, i was thinking the same thing, but the only Reserves tunic I've seen had the light grey in color collar tabs on them, and light grey cuff title also.

Thats why i was confused on this one.

thanks, much appreciated.

Brian

There is a good picture of the setup on page 36/37 Volume one Allgemeine-SS 1923-45 Andrew Mollo

?

Thanks.
    W.

Quote by blackheart0866 View Post
    Thanks, i was thinking the same thing, but the only Reserves tunic I've seen had the light grey in color collar tabs on them, and light grey cuff title also.
    The key word in Adrian's identification of these insignia as being for the the Allgemeine SS' active reserves is "active".

The grey insignia you are thinking of were worn by the SS-Stammabteilungen; this was a sort of second-line, inactive supplementary reserve made up of men who were over the age of 45 and/or unfit for active duty as well as certain personnel whose duties for the state or the party prevented them from any significant activities in the A-SS, for example regular police officers.

Can I just add that this is the first time I have seen an actual image of these "R" collar patches in wear!

Thanks to Brian for the fine image. I have never seen a photo of this type. I think this insignia was phased out later. Wim Saris would know for sure. The structure of reserves was complicated, as my German colleague indicates, and the reform of Allgem. SS insignia in the years until 1937 is also poorly interpreted in the secondary literature.

Nice material and warm thanks for those generous enough to share with us.