Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 38 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast

Assistance with Id'ing Fake Photographs

Article about: Well, I know there are other threads that have been started in the past about the originality of Wartime Photos. However, I frequently receieve PM's asking for advice or assitance about how

?

Default Re: Assistance with Id'ing Fake Photographs

Some tips for Buying on Ebay/Auction Sites:

* Be aware of "sexy photos"..... If it is too good to be true, it usually is. Use your head. Dont start collecting the expensive photos first. You will very rarely find top notch pics for cheap!

* Check sellers "other items". this can tell you alot. If the seller has 20+ photos that all look the same (hue/contrast), have the same cut/edges, same maker stamps, and similar image content.....they are 99% of the time FAKES

* IGNORE FEEDBACK SCORES - these mean nothing really. The people who are buying the fakes, obviously dont know the pics they bought are fake..and will leave positive feedback.
    - If you contact them about your fakes....Some fakers/sellers will offer a full refund and even let you keep the fake photos in exchange for positive feedback to be left (keeping there scores at 100%)

* Dont be afraid to ask for a scans of Reverse and Edges/cut - then post it here for guidance

* Try to find 5-10 GOOD sources and stick with buying from these sellers, until you can easily spot fakes.
    (a good source for new photo collectors: Robert from German WW2 Photos -Welcome or thirdreichportraits.com)
    He also sells on Ebay. He sells lower-priced original/period photos, which will be a conservative way to get the feel for real wartime photos.
    Last edited by Bill T; 03-06-2012 at 06:26 AM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Assistance with Id'ing Fake Photographs
    P
    Many

?

Great thread.
    Very informative.

?

What is a period original photo?

This can be a confusing question. An original photo is one which was taken during the wartime period, normally using the day of surrender as the deadline. These are photos that have been developed from the original negative!

But what about photos that were taken during the war, but not printed/developed until post-war??
    Well, these are technically considered "period photos". BUT, I reccomend not purchasing any photos that claim this, unless of course there is undoubtable provenance.

POST-WAR AGFA Photo Paper Markings
    (Photos with these markings were printed/developed after ww2)
    Note the line/s Above the marking
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Assistance with Id'ing Fake Photographs   Assistance with Id'ing Fake Photographs  

Assistance with Id'ing Fake Photographs  

?

The "Number Fake"
    (slight UV reaction) - Postcard size

**just got burned on this, as I took a gamble without seeing the edges/cut before buying**

- Incorrect serrated Edges/cut (do not match known period examples to my knowledge)
    - Glossy finished obverse
    - These have good contrast and detail, but once in hand....you will know it is bad. Meant to decieve
    - numbers on reverse (please know that some original period pics have #s on reverse, which is okay)
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Assistance with Id'ing Fake Photographs   Assistance with Id'ing Fake Photographs  

?

Ahh yes, the old Number photo!
    I think we forgot the "tea stained" photo as well.
    Fortunately I got lucky when I started collecting pics on ebay. As Bill has already stated, Look out for people who are selling only photos and a lot of em, and if they all look the same. This isnt always true, though. Sometimes people will have a full photo album and they part it out ,so pics will look similar. Also look at the back of the pic for signs of album removal, ie. typically black spots on the corners or middle. I have seen one with faked black paper on the back but they put it over the entire surface, which I've never seen before on period originals. I try and buy from Germany when I can.

Hi everybody,

As this topic is now alive i have a first submission for you.
    I have find this two photos for sale on eBay germany.

Assistance with Id'ing Fake PhotographsAssistance with Id'ing Fake Photographs

I'm a little bit disturbed by two things :
    -the blurry quality and grey color of the picture wich seems unatural (badly scanned ?)
    -the fact that this two pictures seems to be small parts of the same larger picture (the guy on the back of the Stug looks exactly the same on the two pictures, same angle, same posture)
    Was it frequent during wartime to create two pictures from one larger ?

Could you help me with this pictures and agree or disagree with my concerns ?

Regards.

Kieffer
    Last edited by Kieffer; 03-06-2012 at 01:09 PM.

?

Excellent work Bill a good learning tool for all who want to buy and collect photos . Some of those shown are clever fakes whilst some particulary the Russian / Ukranian ones are not and they are that well documented they shouldn't be catching anyone out anymore but they do .......... !!

The simple reason is that people see a sexy Waffen SS RKT/ Tiger / General photo and it blinds them to the fakery , as has been pointed out the sexier it is the more you have to check it out !!
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

?

Quote by Kieffer View Post
    Hi everybody,

As this topic is now alive i have a first submission for you.
    I have find this two photos for sale on eBay germany.

Assistance with Id'ing Fake PhotographsAssistance with Id'ing Fake Photographs

I'm a little bit disturbed by two things :
    -the blurry quality and grey color of the picture wich seems unatural (badly scanned ?)
    -the fact that this two pictures seems to be small parts of the same larger picture (the guy on the back of the Stug looks exactly the same on the two pictures, same angle, same posture)
    Was it frequent during wartime to create two pictures from one larger ?

Could you help me with this pictures and agree or disagree with my concerns ?

Regards.

Kieffer
    Can you post the rear of them Kiefer ?
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

Unfortunately the eBay seller doesn't have included the back side in the auction. I will send him a request.

Update : As the sale is only with 40 minutes remaining, it is too late to ask the seller.

?

Keiffer, these are in the "Gray Fakes" family. These are among the most popular of the fakes on Ebay/etc. If you notice, they have a grayish look to them. Also, the paper they are on is a bit thicker than your average smaller sized photo paper.
    If you take a look at the sellers "other Items", you should see that all of the photos have this same "gray" look to them. Big Red Flag!
    Most will not have any markings on the reverse, but I have indeed seen some with fake stamps as well....as seen on my example earlier.

**Beware as the edge/cut on these fakes have a strong resemblence (almost identical) to wartime "Agfa Brovira" photo paper**
    Last edited by Bill T; 03-06-2012 at 09:31 PM.

Page 2 of 38 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast