Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 8 of 38 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 18 ... LastLast

Assistance with Id'ing Fake Photographs

Article about: Well, I know there are other threads that have been started in the past about the originality of Wartime Photos. However, I frequently receieve PM's asking for advice or assitance about how

Default Re: Assistance with Id'ing Fake Photographs

Awesome information ! Very instructive

Regards
    JT

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Assistance with Id'ing Fake Photographs
    P
    Many

Thanks to everybody for the input! Great post. There are two things that I would like to raise.

First (more straight forward): I bought a set of 20 pictures of the 1st GJ in the Caucasus, though I was doubting the authenticity, but just couldn't let them go. What do you think of them? I am posting just a sample to avoid any sales of these on ebay....If somebody is interested I can share the set via the PM. The paper is a bit thinner than usually. I think that these may be the so called "canteen" photos made by the battalion photographer and bought by the soldiers as the souvenirs to show back home. If somebody can encrypt the writing on the back, I would really appreciate it! What are your thoughts?

Assistance with Id'ing Fake PhotographsAssistance with Id'ing Fake PhotographsAssistance with Id'ing Fake PhotographsAssistance with Id'ing Fake PhotographsAssistance with Id'ing Fake PhotographsAssistance with Id'ing Fake PhotographsAssistance with Id'ing Fake PhotographsAssistance with Id'ing Fake Photographs

Second: I would like to raise the issue of the "canteen" photos. Can somebody share how they can be recognized?

?

I cant help you with an opinion about the pics being genuine or not, but those two pics looks great.
    I assume they are GebirgsJäger or some such thing.
    Thanks for sharing.

Should I make a separate post?

?

Hello Evgeni,
    At first look I would like to give the thumbs up.......and would agree that these are most likely "canteen photos" or duplicates.
    Before I would be comfortable telling you that they are 100% legit, I would really like to see a shot of the entire front (with serrated edges showing). The markings look perfectly okay, but take a look yourself since you have them in front of you.....and make sure they are aligned correctly (not crooked/etc).
    Please remember, not all thin/flimsy type paper are canteen photos

Thanks a lot for you reply! The stamps are all fine. I will post more pictures a later this week. Thanks a lot in advance!

Quote by Bill T View Post
    Hello Evgeni,
    At first look I would like to give the thumbs up.......and would agree that these are most likely "canteen photos" or duplicates.
    Before I would be comfortable telling you that they are 100% legit, I would really like to see a shot of the entire front (with serrated edges showing). The markings look perfectly okay, but take a look yourself since you have them in front of you.....and make sure they are aligned correctly (not crooked/etc).
    Please remember, not all thin/flimsy type paper are canteen photos
    Here is the one done by the previous owner:

What are your thoughts Thanks a lot in advance!

?

Hi Evgeni,
    This one also looks to be a duplicate of the original as well (which is not uncommon of course). It looks to be on different paper than the other ones too. But I am more comfortable saying that this one is good when compared to the others, just because I can match up the edges with period photos in my collection. A nice period photo IMO. Great little grouping of images too

One question, does it have the same markings on the reverse as the others? Just curious. Thanks

Bill,

Thanks a lot for the comment! The paper is the same for all of them, its a big group of 20. All with same stamps (see above), same "thinner than regular" paper. I guess we can identify them as period canteen photos?

It will be great to identify the writing on the back (see above), it can be quite revealing! . Anyone?

Quote by Bill T View Post
    Hi Evgeni,
    This one also looks to be a duplicate of the original as well (which is not uncommon of course). It looks to be on different paper than the other ones too. But I am more comfortable saying that this one is good when compared to the others, just because I can match up the edges with period photos in my collection. A nice period photo IMO. Great little grouping of images too

One question, does it have the same markings on the reverse as the others? Just curious. Thanks

i'm always on the lookout for photographs to add to the collection. today i noticed this one and it appears to be a problematic example (russian archive fake).

Last edited by tempelhof; 05-10-2012 at 05:24 PM.

Page 8 of 38 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 18 ... LastLast