Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

Can anybody ID this Pilot, please?

Article about: Erich Hartmann is on the left, but I was wondering who the Pilot on the right is. Does anybody recognize him? Thanks for any help.

Wuerstenfuchs
    ?

Default Can anybody ID this Pilot, please?

Erich Hartmann is on the left, but I was wondering who the Pilot on the right is. Does anybody recognize him? Thanks for any help.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Can anybody  ID  this Pilot, please?  

2. # ADS

Default Re: Can anybody ID this Pilot, please?

Im not sure but I believe I have seen that photo before and I think it was in the book: The Blonde Knight of Germany by Raymond Tolliver. I have the book but it is packed away because I recently relocated 200 miles. I'll try finding it later tonight and see if I can find the book and see if this pic is in it.

Hi Odessa,

The pilot next to Hartmann is Gerhard Barkhorn, the second highest ace after Hartmann himself.

In 1100 sorties he shot down 301 aircraft, all on the eastern front. He was awarded the knights cross with oakleaves and swords in 1943 i think.
    He finished the war as aLieutenant General and died in, i think, 1984. For more info on him try wikipedia.

Kind Regards, Ned.

Wuerstenfuchs
    ?

Quote by big ned View Post
    Hi Odessa,

The pilot next to Hartmann is Gerhard Barkhorn, the second highest ace after Hartmann himself.

In 1100 sorties he shot down 301 aircraft, all on the eastern front. He was awarded the knights cross with oakleaves and swords in 1943 i think.
    He finished the war as aLieutenant General and died in, i think, 1984. For more info on him try wikipedia.

Kind Regards, Ned.
    Thanks for the info! 301 huh? Almost as good as Hartmann

Hi Ned, nice work and thanks. I hadn't had a chance to look in on this one. Many thanks though.