Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Can anyone recognise a U-Boat type from these pics please?

Article about: I'm currently preparing to build a model U-Boat and have become slightly confused as to the type of boat it actually is. According to all records, the boat I'm basing my model upon - U-406 i

Default Re: Can anyone recognise a U-Boat type from these pics please?

Adrian: I am guessing that you are going to build a kit model and are looking at the picture on the box. Don’t pay any attention to it as many of them are not even nearly accurate. The U-406 was a Type VIIC/41 boat and did not have the “double bandstand,” though later “F” versions of the Type VIIC did have them. What Stinschen wrote about not all boats being “built after the book” is absolutely correct, but none of the VIIC/41 boats were given the additional platform aft.
    Below are two charts, one showing the evolution of the Type VII and the other showing the conning tower configurations for the Type IX boats, which, beginning in 1943, did have a double bandstand. Most of the photos you have posted are of the U-406 or a sister boat. The boat under attack is probably a Type IX. I hope you post photos of your model when it’s finished.

References: Erich Gröner, Die deutschen Kriegsschiffe, 1815-1945, 2 vols., vol 1,pp. 381-84, J.F. Lehmanns Verlag, München. 1966; Bodo Herzog, Deutsche U-Boote, 1906-1966, Pawlak Verlag, Herrswching, 1990, pp. 195-99; and Eberhard Rössler, Geschichte des deutschen Ubootsbaus, J.F. Lehmanns Verlag, München, 1975, pp. 115-21.

If you would like working plan drawings of the Type VII Class, send me your email address and I’ll send drawings that you can have enlarged to scale. Dwight

Can anyone recognise a U-Boat type from these pics please?Can anyone recognise a U-Boat type from these pics please?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Can anyone recognise a U-Boat type from these pics please?
    P
    Many

?

Hello Dwight,
    Thank you for your reply. Don't worry, I'm not going by the box artwork. I posted some photos from the boat I want to model here.
    If you could send me the drawings I would be very grateful, my email is adriancawte@googlemail.com

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

Hi Adrian.

I did a bit of random research today and I came across this book online, remembering your project for 2012:

"Vom Original zum Modell: Uboottyp VIIC" written by Fritz Köhl & Axel Niestle.
    Amazon.com: Vom Original zum Modell, Uboottyp VII C (9783763760022): Fritz Köhl, Axel Niestle: Books

Maybe it is also available in English.

Everything you need to know about the VIIC - VIIC/41 - VIIC/42 uboats, from bottom to conning tower. All info in one book. I have the German edition and it is great material.
    Last edited by Little Mermaid; 01-15-2012 at 09:14 PM.
    [COLOR="#EE82EE"]I'm selfish, impatient, and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I'm out of control, and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.
    Marilyn Monroe[/COLOR]

Hi adrian,
    i have a model of a Type 7C Uboat and have some pics of it i will put them up, asap. the type 7c only had a single AA, Deck not double.
    dave.

Adrian: I found this book, which appears to be the same as Stinschen posted, but a different title. It's Kohl & Niestle, Uboottyp VIIIC: Ein Bild und Plan Dokumentation, 64 pp. offered by Antheil (Intl.) Booksellers, 2177 Isabelle Ct., No. Bellmore, NY 11710, USA, item #560 found in catalog #218 (2012) for $21 According to the catalog order page, postage for one book to a "foreign" address is $14. I have done business with Antheil for more than 30 years and he is completely reliable and honest. His email is antheil1231@msn.com Dwight

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2