MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

"German" Dakota !

Article about: Wanna show you this interesting images, hope you like ´em too ...

Exclamation "German" Dakota !

Wanna show you this interesting images, hope you like ´em too ...
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture "German" Dakota !   "German" Dakota !  

"German" Dakota !  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement "German" Dakota !
    P
    Many

?

Default Re: "German" Dakota !

I know the DC3's were converted to the C47 military spec, .. and also there were quite a few captured aircraft utilised, ... but did the Germans actually buy any standard DC3's before WW2 broke out ?

Regards

Gary J.

Cool photo, not seen that before

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

Quote by Gary J View Post
    I know the DC3's were converted to the C47 military spec, .. and also there were quite a few captured aircraft utilised, ... but did the Germans actually buy any standard DC3's before WW2 broke out ?

Regards

Gary J.
    These are the information´s, I´ve got in an other militaria forum, (source: this thread: "Dakota" in Deutschen Diensten - Seite 2 - Militaria Fundforum), concerning this particular plane:

Lufthansa Douglas DC-3-194G D-ATJG C/N 2142, assembled by Fokker and delivered to KLM as PH-ASM "Mees". It was powered by Wright Cyclones and right-side passenger door. In service July 1939, taken over by the Germans in May 1940. Registred NA+LE with the Luftwaffe, transfered to Lufthansa service from 15/6 1940. Destroyed 03 sep 1944 in an allied attack. Includes metric German panel modification and Wright Cyclone configuration.

?

Interesting ! ... so it was a pre-war Lufthansa purchase !

?

Not Lufthansa, it was delivered to the Dutch KLM airlines and Lufthansa got the plane only after the invasion of Denmark, through Luftwaffe

CMc
    ?

Aren't KLM based in the Netherlands rather than Denmark? But other than that, yes the description above indicates it was a Dutch civilian airliner originally and ended up in German service as a war trophy. There's always something fascinating about captured equipment, isn't there?

Great pre-war images, Reibert !

These were a very well designed aircraft. I think some are still flying today......!
    Regards,

Steve.

I have never seen this or anything like it, pretty cool. I'm kind of amazed the Germans didn't reverse engineer it to replace their JU-52's. The Dakota was a dependable, solid airplane.

Jay

?

Nice pics! New one on me!