Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

German Infantry in France?

Article about: I picked up this original photo a few weeks ago. These wehrmacht soldiers look pretty happy so probably early war. Not sure where this was taken but looks like a small town in France somewhe

?

Default German Infantry in France?

I picked up this original photo a few weeks ago. These wehrmacht soldiers look pretty happy so probably early war. Not sure where this was taken but looks like a small town in France somewhere. I can't quite make out the signage on the building..........."Hotel Des Voyageur" can clearly be seen but the other signage is hard to read. Thanks for looking.

German Infantry in France?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement German Infantry in France?
    P
    Many

?

Hi birkie,

I dont think that this photo was taken as early in the war as you think mate. I "expanded the pic" and, to me at least, it looks as though the footsloggers are wearing anklets as opposed to jackboots. To me, that puts the pic' sometime after 1942.
    Unless, of course they Gebirgsjager, which would also account for the gaiters, I cant make out if they are "wrap-around" puttee style or "strap and buckle" type, like British 37ptn type.
    I could be way off beam on this one, but just my 2pennorth.

Regards etc
    Ian D

AKA: Jimpy
    Last edited by jimpy; 12-31-2013 at 07:07 PM. Reason: Addition

?

Good eye Ian. I hadn't noticed the boots. Initially I thought the helmet on the back of the front and centre soldier looked like a Fallshirmjager lid. Hard to tell though.
    cheers

Quote by jimpy View Post
    Hi birkie,

I dont think that this photo was taken as early in the war as you think mate. I "expanded the pic" and, to me at least, it looks as though the footsloggers are wearing anklets as opposed to jackboots. To me, that puts the pic' sometime after 1942.
    I could be way off beam on this one, but just my 2pennorth.

Regards etc
    Ian D

Yup retreat gaiters and ankle boots not really early war!..

?

You're welcome mate.

Looking more closely at the boots they look like they might have cleated soles, but didn't the Gebirgsjager troops wear tapered trousers? these look like normal heer baggy pants!...

?

Quote by Gunny Hartmann View Post
    Looking more closely at the boots they look like they might have cleated soles, but didn't the Gebirgsjager troops wear tapered trousers? these look like normal heer baggy pants!...
    Having had another look at the photo, I think that you could be right as regards the trousers being normal Heer trousers Paul, but the boots do look suspiciously like they have cleated soles/sides like the Gebirgsjager boots.

Regards etc.
    Ian D

Also they all appear to be wearing the early M35 tunic which would be pretty a group post 1942.

Quote by Panzersaurus View Post
    Also they all appear to be wearing the early M35 tunic which would be pretty a group post 1942.
    I think you're right about the tunics!...

?

The more I look at this photo, the more I am leaning towards it being a GEBIRGSJAGER unit at around 1940/41sh.

The boots appear to be the cleated mountain boots
    The anklets appear to be wrap-around puttee type
    The tunic appears to be the shorter "skirt" length and still with the dark green collar and badge backing
    The troops are still carrying the "gasseplanne" (?spelling), pouch on the gasmask strap
    The middle NCO appears to be carrying a ski-cap as opposed to a sidecap, which would also point towards a mountain troops unit. Also, the "helmet"(?) being carried by this figure also appears to be strapped to the outer face of a rucksac.
    The lack of Y straps but the apparent appearence of shoulder straps for a rucksac also, to me anyway, points towards a mountain troops unit.

Regards etc
    Ian D

Last edited by jimpy; 01-01-2014 at 11:02 PM. Reason: Grammar