Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here

Help to ID People and Places in Austria Photos

Article about: A friend of mine, Calvin Johnson, aquired roll after roll of negatives from an estate sale. All of them Nazi photos in and around Marchegg Austria....we think. Any help identifying the peopl

Default Help to ID People and Places in Austria Photos

A friend of mine, Calvin Johnson, aquired roll after roll of negatives from an estate sale. All of them Nazi photos in and around Marchegg Austria....we think. Any help identifying the people or places would be greatly appreciated. He has several more rolls that have not been developed yet and I hope to post some more soon. Thanks in advance, Richard
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Help to ID People and Places in Austria Photos   Help to ID People and Places in Austria Photos  

Help to ID People and Places in Austria Photos   Help to ID People and Places in Austria Photos  

Help to ID People and Places in Austria Photos   Help to ID People and Places in Austria Photos  

Help to ID People and Places in Austria Photos  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Help to ID People and Places in Austria Photos
    P
    Many

Default Re: Help to ID People and Places in Austria Photos

I can't be of much help, but photograph # 9 has the huge ferris wheel of the Vienna Prater in the background.

Furthermore, I think that photograph # 4 is not in Austria at all, but rather shows a Czech location: Note the shop signs with "JOZEF [...]" and "[...] PRADLO".

Thank you so much...every little bit of info helps. richard

I found the location of the church in picture no. 4! Turned out, though, I was not 100% correct - It's not a Czech location, but a Slovak one: It's the church at Žilina.

Please see here for comparison:
    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...lina_gross.jpg
    http://www.visitslovakia.com/data/us...lina_1x(1).jpg
    http://oberonrotary.files.wordpress..../07/zilina.jpg

The clue was the clothing shop sign in the background saying "KLOBUKY A PRADLO". I consulted with a Czech speaker (to be more precise, my father, who was born in Czechoslovakia) who pointed out that "Klobuky" (= hats) is the Slovak spelling, while "Klobouky" is the Czech one. Doing a Google image search for Slovak churches, I managed to identify the place.
    Last edited by HPL2008; 03-09-2011 at 08:36 PM.

WOW!!! That is amazing!!! And you are as well. I really appreciate the time you have taken to help unravel the story of these pictures. This board and the people who spend time here are my number one source for anything WW2 related. Thank you so much once again, richard

You're welcome! I can offer one final observation that might be helpful, too:

With three locations (Vienna, Marchegg and Žilina) identified, I took a closer look to their relative locations. I found that there is a railway line running from Vienna into Slovakia, with Marchegg being the Austrian-Slovak border crossing. (Notice that some of the men in photograph # 5 wear customs unifoms.) Žilina is located a good deal deeper into Slovakia.

Given the presence of these three locations, the fact that the Vienna and Marchegg photographs were taken at railway stations/-installations and that the castle photograph was apparently taken from a train, I think we can make an educated guess that the men from this Luftwaffe unit were transported by rail from Vienna via Marchegg into Slovakia.

Damn that boy's good!!!

Nice work HPL, that's a fine piece of detective work!!

Hat's off!!, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.