Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

How rare are SS studio portraits w. helmet in wear?

Article about: So, I'm not going to post any SS portrait with helmet in wear as I do not have one --- yet. I'd like to hear thoughts on how rare it is to find original portrait photos such as this though a

Default How rare are SS studio portraits w. helmet in wear?

So, I'm not going to post any SS portrait with helmet in wear as I do not have one --- yet. I'd like to hear thoughts on how rare it is to find original portrait photos such as this though and possibly this in relation to fair price range for nice examples. Reason I'm asking is because I'd like to have a nice one to display along with my SS helmet and I can't seem to find many examples online, and the few I have found are a bit expensive IMO...

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement How rare are SS studio portraits w. helmet in wear?
    P
    Many

?

You certainly don't see very many where a helmet was being worn , for official studio photos Caps or no headgear seem to have been the fashion. This is probably because all of these photos would have taken out of the line / HKL area and the Troops are wearing walking out dress not combat dress !!

Thanks for chiming in, Paul!

That is the kind of SS portraits I normally see as well --- with cap or no headgear at all, I mean. I didn't really think of it the way you put it and you're of course right but, then again, there's a LOT of Heer, Luftwaffe etc. portraits where soldiers are wearing helmets out there. Of course, these branches outnumbered the SS by far but still... I'm guessing the studio portrait situations were similar for all branches -- meaning that most were shot away from combat areas etc. which would normally warrant non-combat gear worn.

Either way, any idea of what a nice portrait should fetch from collector to collector? I might have one on hand but I'm still unsure of fair pricing...

?

Difficult to price it without seeing it , it depends on the quality of the shot , any cuff titles / awards on show etc !!

The one I was looking at is a Totenkopf portrait in postcard size --- quality seems good enough to me but the decal is out of focus.

How rare are SS studio portraits w. helmet in wear?

The only one I have and I can't give you a value as it is not for sale. "Albert" was a school friend of my mother.
    Ralph.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture How rare are SS studio portraits w. helmet in wear?  
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

Thank you for posting that one, Ralph! A beautiful shot indeed --- the combination of loving these old artifacts and seeing photos of them in wear in that crisp studio quality is unbeatable!

Quote by slados28 View Post
    Thank you for posting that one, Ralph! A beautiful shot indeed --- the combination of loving these old artifacts and seeing photos of them in wear in that crisp studio quality is unbeatable!
    I'm always so surprised at how good photography was 80 years ago. Some photos are tack-sharp!
    In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig. CE

Indeed! I scanned a few hundred 80-90 year old glass negatives for a neighbor of mine a few years back and looking at those images in high resolution back then seeing the amount of detail and clarity was truly astonishing!

I believe it, Slados. I have a box of TR photos and some are so sharp I was convinced they were fake. After having the photos for nearly 2 years now, I think they may be authentic but I know nothing about authentic or fake photos. lol I think the quality photos cannot be dismissed, is what I'm trying to say

Another project for another time!
    In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig. CE