Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Large photo lot Including SS photos

Article about: Hey guys, well this was my photo lot from the fair. The guy had original 700+ photos in a box and these were the ones that i had time to pick out. I payed 40\\$ for the lot, also could someone

?

Default Large photo lot Including SS photos

Hey guys, well this was my photo lot from the fair. The guy had original 700+ photos in a box and these were the ones that i had time to pick out. I payed 40$ for the lot, also could someone please help me with the translation on some of these photos.
    Thanks
    Ryan
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Large photo lot Including SS photos   Large photo lot Including SS photos  

Large photo lot Including SS photos   Large photo lot Including SS photos  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Large photo lot Including SS photos
    P
    Many

Nice images! I think you did well.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

?

Thanks Ade! I know its kinda hard to see but the first photo has the SS runes (the printer did a bad scan) and the second photo has the Totenkopf collar tab.
    Thanks
    Ryan

Great score and the nco in the first pic with the runes is der speiss, the oldest nco in the unit, though I have never been quite sure if that means he has served in the unit the longest or is actually the oldest in age.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

?

Awesome pictures Ryan. Did the guy have any photos of an SA member?

?

Yes i did a lot doug, I only had a certain amount of time though which sucked.
    Ryan

?

aw man! I have been wanting to add a legit photo to go with my daggers for a while. One day maybe lol

?

THe Spiess (Spear ) was one of the most experienced Senior NCO's in the Kompanie but not necessarily the oldest in age !! This was an honoury title within the unit and the sleeve tress would be given up once he was no longer the Spiess.
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

The caption on the reverse side of the Spieß' photo says:

"Zu stehtem* Andenken
    von Deinem Freund
    Willy
    [...]**
    SS-Unterscharf. u. Stabsscha.***"

...i.e.:

"As a constant memory
    from your friend
    Willy
    [...]
    SS-Unterscharf. u. Stabsscha."

*) misspelt; should be "stetem"
    **) Sorry, can't quite make out the name.
    ***) See below.

The universally known and commonly used - but colloquial - term Spieß referred to the NCO holding the duty position that was officially known as Stabsscharführer in the SS (or Hauptfeldwebel in the Heer and Luftwaffe). This was a company's senior NCO. (Unless I am mistaken, the British equivalent would be a Company Sergeant Major.)

"Senior", however, does neither mean the oldest nor the longest-serving, but refers to the status and responsibilities of the duty position.

In the SS, this duty position was normally held by an NCO of one of the two highest SNCO ranks, i.e. Hauptscharführer or Sturmscharführer. Only then was the holder of said duty position officially designated as Stabsscharführer.
    In wartime, lower-ranked NCOs would also be assigned to this duty postion, in which case they were properly referred to as Stabsscharführerdiensttuer [i.e. "acting Stabsscharführer"] [Note to non-German speakers: I dare you to say Stabsscharführerdiensttuer three times in a row without a slip of the tongue! ]

This was the case with the man in the photograph: He is a humble Unterscharführer, i.e. the lowest JNCO rank.

As has been said above, the Spieß was clearly identified by the twin rings of sleeve Tresse, but the notebook tucked into the tunic front - as seen in this photograph - was almost as important a sign of this duty position.

Oh, and the other two captions say: "Bruder Wilil" = "Brother Willi" and "Rußland 1942" = "Russia 1942".

?

Quote by HPL2008 View Post
    The caption on the reverse side of the Spieß' photo says:

"Zu stehtem* Andenken
    von Deinem Freund
    Willy
    [...]**
    SS-Unterscharf. u. Stabsscha.***"

...i.e.:

"As a constant memory
    from your friend
    Willy
    [...]
    SS-Unterscharf. u. Stabsscha."

*) misspelt; should be "stetem"
    **) Sorry, can't quite make out the name.
    ***) See below.

The universally known and commonly used - but colloquial - term Spieß referred to the NCO holding the duty position that was officially known as Stabsscharführer in the SS (or Hauptfeldwebel in the Heer and Luftwaffe). This was a company's senior NCO. (Unless I am mistaken, the British equivalent would be a Company Sergeant Major.)

"Senior", however, does neither mean the oldest nor the longest-serving, but refers to the status and responsibilities of the duty position.

In the SS, this duty position was normally held by an NCO of one of the two highest SNCO ranks, i.e. Hauptscharführer or Sturmscharführer. Only then was the holder of said duty position officially designated as Stabsscharführer.
    In wartime, lower-ranked NCOs would also be assigned to this duty postion, in which case they were properly referred to as Stabsscharführerdiensttuer [i.e. "acting Stabsscharführer"] [Note to non-German speakers: I dare you to say Stabsscharführerdiensttuer three times in a row without a slip of the tongue! ]

This was the case with the man in the photograph: He is a humble Unterscharführer, i.e. the lowest JNCO rank.

As has been said above, the Spieß was clearly identified by the twin rings of sleeve Tresse, but the notebook tucked into the tunic front - as seen in this photograph - was almost as important a sign of this duty position.

Oh, and the other two captions say: "Bruder Wilil" = "Brother Willi" and "Rußland 1942" = "Russia 1942".
    Thanks Andreas i tried to say it 3 times and failed you are correct a real tongue twister !!
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast