Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

My partial photograph collection, so far.

Article about: I agree paul. The other photo i wanted to mention is the one of the said "old fart" pointing at the 2 SS boys. This is a highly reproduced photo as it was in many newspapers from i

?

Default Re: My partial photograph collection, so far.

I agree paul. The other photo i wanted to mention is the one of the said "old fart" pointing at the 2 SS boys. This is a highly reproduced photo as it was in many newspapers from its time. I would be very curious as to the originality of this photo. Unfortunately I know of 2 other dealers or collectors (whom i never buy from) selling the exact same photo

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement My partial photograph collection, so far.
    P
    Many

?

Quote by Panzer1031 View Post
    Woske,
    I was not trying to negatively contradict you....that was not my objective in my statement. However I have taken some extra time and contacted some of the people I know that deal in photography as a carreer. I am not saying it is the "original" copy of that particular photo. I was told that some of these are indeed "copies" but they are period copies. I was also told that the only way they would be "post-war repro" is if the "copier" themselves had printing paper from war-time period productions. It IS indeed possible, but unlikely. I fully understand your concern with the photographs as I myself noticed the "famous familiarity" of them. For you to say that they are most definitley post war without even holding or seeing them isnt right in my opinion. If I had not gone to the lengths that I have to check into these photos, I would not even go to the trouble in writing this. Unfortunately the sources selling these photos are calling them "original" photos only because they are printed on correct paper. I am aware that some producers simply place printing names such as Agfa Lupex on the rear of photos, but this is not the case in this situation. It is possible that they made copies of the originals during the war for educational or other purposes and now they are being sold today as "original period photos." IMO that is wrong to do, but I still think Brians photos are worth displaying and are one of a kind......as you most likely will not find theese photos on correct paper. Sorry if I offended you Woske, again that was not my intention. I went through my photo collection and found many many postcard sized serrated photos that are most definitely original period photos. ( I did notice that most are luftwaffe pics that size tho...which could just be a coincidence)??
    Without trying to blow my own trumpet, I have one of the largest private archives of personality photos that I know. I have been collecting photos since the 1960s and it is the image I am interested in. Hence I have a large number of repro photos in addition to my originals. I have provided images for books, TV companies and educational presentations and I also identify unknown personalities in photos where I can, although that is not always possible. Over the years, I have gained in experience and I think I can recognise original photos from repros as well as the tricks that many producers of repros make in an effort to deceive a buyer into believing they are obtaining original images. I know a particular repro manufacturer who actually bought up a large stock of original photo paper from a well known photo lab, just so he could print his repros on original paper. It's a lucrative business.
    As for the Frentz portrait of Eicke, I can say it is a fake repro because the original photographer told me. I once visited Frentz a few years before he died and we discussed his colour portraits. He told me that he never released his colour portrait negatives for reproduction in black and white and that those that appeared could only be repro copies. So you see, that's how I can say it's definitely a repro without touching it. Funnily enough, the Eicke portraits (there were several taken at the same sitting) were actually discussed. The reason I remember this is because Frentz pointed out that Eicke had a small lump or mole removed from his left cheek not long before the sitting. (You can see the small scar in the photo.) In previous portraits of Eicke, the lump is evident.
    On the question of serrated edges on postcard size studio photos, among the many hundreds of such original photos in my archive, the vast majority have straight edges. Although there are some with serrated edges, these are outnumbered on a large scale by straight edge cut examples. No offence taken; it's just that I wanted to put the record straight.
    Regards,
    Woske.

Quote by Woske View Post
    Without trying to blow my own trumpet, I have one of the largest private archives of personality photos that I know. I have been collecting photos since the 1960s and it is the image I am interested in. Hence I have a large number of repro photos in addition to my originals. I have provided images for books, TV companies and educational presentations and I also identify unknown personalities in photos where I can, although that is not always possible. Over the years, I have gained in experience and I think I can recognise original photos from repros as well as the tricks that many producers of repros make in an effort to deceive a buyer into believing they are obtaining original images. I know a particular repro manufacturer who actually bought up a large stock of original photo paper from a well known photo lab, just so he could print his repros on original paper. It's a lucrative business.
    As for the Frentz portrait of Eicke, I can say it is a fake repro because the original photographer told me. I once visited Frentz a few years before he died and we discussed his colour portraits. He told me that he never released his colour portrait negatives for reproduction in black and white and that those that appeared could only be repro copies. So you see, that's how I can say it's definitely a repro without touching it. Funnily enough, the Eicke portraits (there were several taken at the same sitting) were actually discussed. The reason I remember this is because Frentz pointed out that Eicke had a small lump or mole removed from his left cheek not long before the sitting. (You can see the small scar in the photo.) In previous portraits of Eicke, the lump is evident.
    On the question of serrated edges on postcard size studio photos, among the many hundreds of such original photos in my archive, the vast majority have straight edges. Although there are some with serrated edges, these are outnumbered on a large scale by straight edge cut examples. No offence taken; it's just that I wanted to put the record straight.
    Regards,
    Woske.
    I would love to see some of your Allgemeine SS pic, if you dont mind.

Thanks

Brian

Here is another one that showed up today in the mail.

Really nice HJ unit display, Not sure if this one is a postcard, or what, either way I still like the looks of it.

Thanks
    Brian
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture My partial photograph collection, so far.   My partial photograph collection, so far.  

?

Brian,
    I don't usually post photos on the internet because they are exposed to being lifted, copied and sold on. Here's an example of one from my collection which is on my computer and is clipped from a larger photo. It is later SS-O'Gruf. Franz Breithaupt in Allgemeine-SS uniform.
    Woske.
    Attached Images Attached Images My partial photograph collection, so far. 

?

Another for you.
    W.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture My partial photograph collection, so far.  

?

And another.
    W.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture My partial photograph collection, so far.  

?

And another..........Sepp Dietrich. A common portrait.
    W.

Quote by Woske View Post
    Another for you.
    W.
    Very nice, and i love this one the most.

thanks for sharing.

Brian

?

Here's the slightly earlier, well known portrait of Eicke by Hoffmann. It clearly shows the mole or lump on his left cheek.
    Woske.

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast