Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

My WW2 PHOTOS collection - Third Reich Images

Article about: Oh wow! Youre right.....it is most likely an uncropped example, as mine is smaller than postcard size. Also there are a few minor details that are different on mine (probably because of the

Default Re: My WW2 PHOTOS collection - Third Reich Images

Quote by Panzer1031 View Post
    few more. I think the guys in the black uniforms are DAF, but I very well could be wrong. it was titled as Reichspost men when I bought it, which clearly they are not IMO. Im sure HPL can enlighten me if he sees these guys.
    Can do, but you are right about them anyway: They are members of the DAF's Werkscharen. (Their uniforms were actually of a dark navy-blue color which is pretty much indistinguishable from black in b&w photographs.)

I cant really see the collar tabs too well, so I wasnt sure. I also noticed that the troops seem to be wearing early steel helmets (M16's?) too.?
    Right, the collar patches are almost totally obscured, but we can see just enough of his right collar patch to tell that they do not have the double Litzen as worn by officers below General rank.
    Trouser stripes were also worn by General Staff officers and officers attached to the OKW/OKH (although theirs were carmine-red as opposed to the bright red of General Officers), which is why I pointed out the collar patches as an additional identifying detail.

Do you think this would just be your average inspection of the troops type deal?
    I think not; probably some kind of special occasion. (Note the apparently mixed group standing in the far background and the non-military flags.)

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement My WW2 PHOTOS collection - Third Reich Images
    P
    Many

?

Ahhhh very good eye HPL. I didnt study the background too much and missed the group in the back. I saw the flags, but didnt know what they represented to be honest. I wonder if there would be a way to put a name on this General officer? the photo is in the mail, but once I have it in hand I will see if there is anything written on the reverse side. So stripes were worn by staff officers too?? OK. I have been trying to study up on uniforms and rank titles since what you had taught me the other day. When I named him a General, I was simply guessing going off of what very little I observed. It was titled inspection....so thats why I asked about the inspection. the place where I buy these photos is very legitimate, yet they sometimes mislabel the photos and even I pick up on it. haha

So stripes were worn by staff officers too?? OK. I have been trying to study up on uniforms and rank titles since what you had taught me the other day.
    For the Army, it breaks down like this:

Bright-red stripes: All General Officers and Field Marshals, Beamte (Officials) of General Officer equivalent rank.

Carmine-red stripes: Officers below General Officer rank on permanent assignment to the Reichswehrministerium (Reichswehr Ministry), Reichskriegsministerium (Reichs War Ministry), Oberkommando der Wehrmacht (Armed Forces High Command) and the Oberkommando des Heeres (Army High Command). Officers below General Officer rank of of the Führerstab/Generalstab (General Staff). Discontinued by order of 16 November 1942.

?

Thanks for taking the time to lay it out for me. So when you say "discontinued by Nov of 42" do you mean that stripes for all ranks... or just for officers below General Staff were discontinued by then?

Thanks for taking the time to lay it out for me. So when you say "discontinued by Nov of 42" do you mean that stripes for all ranks... or just for officers below General Staff were discontinued by then?
    Field Marshals, Generals and equivalent officials kept their bright-red stripes up to the end of the war.

The carmine-red stripes for the other groups were abolished in 1942. [But retained by Tom Cruise: http://www.firstshowing.net/img/cruise-valkyrie-2.jpg ]

?

hahahahaha!!! Valkyrie Good call!! Ok, Im on the right track now. Thank you.
    I also have found in alot of my photos, Officers are wearing these striped cufftitles with nothing written on them, but they wear them on both sleeves. I had previously heard a reasoning for this, but I cannot remember and really would like to know why if possible? I tried doin a yahoo search, but nothing. I can post a photo if you dont know what I mean. And in all seriousness, I appreciate all your help

Officers are wearing these striped cufftitles with nothing written on them, but they wear them on both sleeves. I had previously heard a reasoning for this, but I cannot remember and really would like to know why if possible? I tried doin a yahoo search, but nothing. I can post a photo if you dont know what I mean.
    My guess is you are referring to this:

My WW2 PHOTOS collection - Third Reich Images

If so, these were not worn by officers. These double rings of Tresse (braid) were worn by SNCOs who held the duty position of Hauptfeldwebel (called Hauptwachtmeister in the artillery branch and Stabsscharführer in the Waffen-SS).

Colloquially called Spieß, this was a Company First Sergeant.

?

Yep! I believe these are the ones I am refering to. Sorry I called them officers, I remembered the men in the photos wearing these held somewhat of a rank tho! haha. Ok, so they were worn by Senior Non-coms of the Waffen SS too huh....good to know. Thanks for clearin that up, it was buggin me that I couldnt figure it out.

?

well, my photo of Hermann Goring came today. I am very pleased with it. Luckily it was the correct paper (agfa Lupex) as was shown in the ad when it got here. I was worried it would show up on non marked paper, which would be harder to prove originality on a photo like this....even though photos were produced w/out marked paper before 45 as well. Most photo collectors are picky about certain papers on Higher priced/rarer imaged photos. The only downfall I can find is that there is a black strip in the bottom right corner that was glued or adhesived on and will not come off(and I dont want to force it). This was definitely in an album at one point, but at least there isnt black paper stuck all over the back of it I guess. Overall I got lucky on this one since the seller didnt know who was in the photo. Im hoping it could be a rarer image of Goring, as I cannot find any original photos of him for sale on dealers sites other than hoffman cards or other postcards.

This might be of interest... I just found another, differently-cropped (or uncropped) example of the Göring photograph online. See here:

Ist das Hermann Göring in Sedan?: Zweiter Weltkrieg - einestages

(Its owner posted it there, stating that the post-card-sized photograph has the handwritten text "Near Sedan, I saw Göring in June '40. Teddy" on its reverse side and asked for confirmation or disproof of this data. The date, incidentally, would indeed match the time frame I had determined in my earlier post.)

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast