Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Need help! Authentication with a photo lot

Article about: by Marc Wow.......... ??? Wow is right. 26 minutes and your already complaining about the lack of responses? Have you contributed to this forum in anyway, are you even a paying member? You c

Quote by Marc View Post
    Wow..........
    ??? Wow is right.
    26 minutes and your already complaining about the lack of responses? Have you contributed to this forum in anyway, are you even a paying member?
    You could also do some research yourself, you know. Use the search engine in the top-right hand corner, there are plenty of threads on what to look for in original photographs.
    And please do remember, nobody here is obligated to help you. It's like someone complaining about a free movie that started late.
    It is important to know some of us have a life, while many others do not live in the states and are on a completely different time-zone. What is it you're expecting from us, for us to sit around here all day waiting to answer questions from impatient members instantaneously? Give a thread more than 30 mins and I'm sure someone will gladly come along and help you. That is, IF you're respectful.
    Last edited by youthcollector1; 09-18-2013 at 03:46 PM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Need help! Authentication with a photo lot
    P
    Many

Smile

https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/germa...graphs-154916/

Here is a link to a thread which should prove valuable for your search, if interpreted accurately. The best part is it's minimal work as the hard part has already been done for you by Bill T.

?

Ryan purchased the SS photo with the stamp for like $7. I stayed away from the lot. He said it would still make a nice display piece for $7. I agreed. Thanks for all your help guys. Ryan and I appreciate the input.(he hasn't been on the computer for a few days). Thanks all.

?

Quote by Marc View Post
    Ryan purchased the SS photo with the stamp for like $7. I stayed away from the lot. He said it would still make a nice display piece for $7. I agreed. Thanks for all your help guys. Ryan and I appreciate the input.(he hasn't been on the computer for a few days). Thanks all.
    What have you learned about the photos shown so you can make your own decisions in the future ??
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

?

Quote by Marc View Post
    Help anyone?
    12 mins and you didn't get a reply , that has to be the impatience record gone !!
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

Quote by Paul E View Post
    12 mins and you didn't get a reply , that has to be the impatience record gone !!
    What I find so frustrating is when looking at his created threads all are of the style real or fake. Then, if you view all of his post you find those, too, are either referring to his threads of real or fake, or arguing that his item is not fake even though accurate information was provided. He has not added any substance of value to this forum that I can find, such as references, nor has he attempted to help anyone else in their search for answers. Yet, he expects us to rush to his aid in less than 12 minutes, and then when 30 minutes past, he so angry he hasn't been helped all he can post is, "wow....". What makes you feel entitled to instant help while you've yet to help anyone yourself? I see no logic in this.
    I'm not trying to attack you, and I wouldn't of called you out, but this is what is frustrating, not the lack of speedy responses from members who aren't compensated for their contributions; and I don't mean financial although nobody here is paid for their services. What this shows me is that you are not that grateful for the help you've received in the past, nor present, and you don't really respect those who've helped you. They are just a answering box, not unlike some machine with no value to you other than what you can get out of it.

?

Quote by tempelhof View Post
    Bill, I hate to go against you on that top one but the contrast within the black fields looks really poor to me. I think, as you say, it stands a chance but i'd probably stay away from it because of that issue. it's awful "dark".
    No worries man! You already know that I personally value your opinion, and appreciate your input. I agree with you about the poor contrast, it does show a "dull" appearance.
    Just for the heck of it tho....The reasons I personally chose to say that it might have a chance would be that the cut seems to be correct (unlike the others shown) and that it possibly could be a period duplicate or copy (not from the original neg), which wasn't uncommon for those small portraits. But I agree with you, certainly one to be better judged in hand.

?

Alright guys as i promised here is the photo, i got it in the mail today after like 15 days lol.
    Ryan
    Attached Images Attached Images Need help! Authentication with a photo lot  Need help! Authentication with a photo lot 

Bill, thank you for the kind words.
    I agree that the cut looks good.
    Let me say that at $7, I don't want to get too excited about panning the photograph. This is certainly one I'd love to have in hand as we've both mentioned.

Ryan, I think for your purposes, as a display item, there is CERTAINLY nothing wrong with this photograph at the price paid.
    I have the issues with it previously described. But even were the photograph to be problematic as I suggest, I can not argue with the price and I think it will make a great display piece for your collection.

You have what, for me, falls into that zone where price justifies purchase both in the case of an authentic item or a copy. And as Bill rightly suggests, this may be a period copy. the way such a copy would have been made, as Bill points out, would be from the original photograph and NOT the negative. Such an origin would explain what I see as an overly dark tone with lack of contrast in the dark fields of the photograph such that, for example, the uniform lapels, pocket flaps and other black-on-black details can not be easily seen.
    The bottom line is price considered, I like the photograph as a display item and my suspicions are just that: suspicions. And they do not change the aesthetic of the piece for display purposes.

edit: I should add that this photograph shows some early details in the numbered rune tab and piping that are great to see.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2