Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 269 of 365 FirstFirst ... 169 219 259 265 266 267 268 269 270 271 272 273 279 319 ... LastLast
Results 2,681 to 2,690 of 3646

New Photo Pick-Ups - Please Share

Article about: Wish the picture was better but after looking through some books I'm now leaning to a Mauser Modle HSe da auto pistol. 1938 7.65mm in competing with the Walther PP. The wood grip lead me to

?

Default Re: New Photo Pick-Ups - Please Share

Yeah Chris that was my first thought....but I'm wondering what DHV stands for...

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement New Photo Pick-Ups - Please Share
    P
    Many

Well Andreas could help here but he is on vacation, so we will have to wait a bit.
    Looking for the photo albums of Leutnant Emil Freitag, 3. / G.R. 377

Quote by Bill T View Post
    Yeah Chris that was my first thought....but I'm wondering what DHV stands for...
    Quote by don_kihotis7 View Post
    Well Andreas could help here but he is on vacation, so we will have to wait a bit.
    Home again from lovely Italy and happy to be of service! The meaning of the abbreviation "DHV" is actually partially visible on the huge banner above the entrance. It stands for "Deutscher Handlungsgehilfen-Verband" [= German Association of Commercial Clerks].

Willkommen mein freund.
    I hope you had a nice time in Italy.
    So the building is not a hotel afterall.
    Looking for the photo albums of Leutnant Emil Freitag, 3. / G.R. 377

One is of a Dr. Herwig Jlkow . Ass. Arzt- Doctors Assistant??
    No, Bill. "Ass.Arzt" means "Assistenarzt". The literal translation of the term is "assistant physician", but - as far as I know - the closest U.S. equivalent is a "resident".

Assistenzärzte are fully-qualified physicians who have succesfully completed their academic studies and examinations (note the doctorate held by the fallen man). They are working in junior, non-leading functions, often while undergoing their advanced practical training for a specialized medical career field. Higher "ranking" physicians are referred to as Oberarzt and, above that, Chefarzt.
    Last edited by HPL2008; 06-18-2012 at 07:58 PM.

?

Aha! Thats what the building is. I saw the writing on the building, but hadnt a clue what it said.

And Awesome HPL, thank you for clearing that up!
    I did however understand that an Oberarzt, Oberfeldarzt, and Chefarzt. must have been more highly qualified, from seeing signatures on award docs and other official documents from the period. It's nice to learn new terms/titles.

Here is a Hauptmann from Infanterie Regiment 62. Check out the Alter-Art Crusher/ Knautschmutze
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture New Photo Pick-Ups - Please Share  

And Awesome HPL, thank you for clearing that up!
    I did however understand that an Oberarzt, Oberfeldarzt, and Chefarzt. must have been more highly qualified, from seeing signatures on award docs and other official documents from the period. It's nice to learn new terms/titles.
    Actually, I just noticed that I have to expand on my above post and correct it somewhat.

What I wrote above is correct when referring to physicians in general, especially civilian ones; but "Assistenzarzt" (like "Oberarzt") is not just a hierarchy level/duty position, but also a military rank designation for medical officers. In the case at hand, it was obviously the latter, not the former.

It breaks down like this:

Rank designations for army physicians (as used by the Heer):

• Unterarzt (equivalent to Oberfähnrich)
    • Assistenzarzt (equivalent to Leutnant)
    • Oberarzt (equivalent to Oberleutnant)
    • Stabsarzt (equivalent to Hauptmann)
    • Oberstabsarzt (equivalent to Major)
    • Oberfeldarzt (equivalent to Oberstleutnant)
    • Oberstarzt (equivalent to Oberst)
    • Generalarzt (equivalent to Generalmajor)
    • Generalstabsarzt (equivalent to Generalleutnant)
    • Generaloberstabsarzt (equivalent to General)

Hierarchy level-/duty position designations (as used by medical establishments in general):

• Assistenzarzt
    • Oberarzt
    • Leitender Oberarzt
    • Chefarzt

One question, does anyone know what unit wore the starfish insignia he wears on the side of his cap?

Hello Richard,
    I have a starfish badge that I was told came off a M43 hat and here is some additional information that may also help (Given to me by my good friend Eduardo in Spain)
    Quote'Marine-Artillerie-Abteilung 204

Formed 5.40 in Ostende with 6 companies, increased to 8 companies in late 1940 (two from Marine-Artillerie-Abteilung 240). From late 1942 only had 5 batteries, and in 9.43 gave up its 1st and 5th batteries to Marine-Artillerie-Abteilung 203. In 1944 consisted of 2. - 4./MAA204, Batterie Malo Terminus and Batterie St. Pol. Disbanded 10.44, after heavy losses.

Subordinated to Seekdt. Flandern, and from 1941 Seekdt Pas-de-Calais

All the best
    Doug
    PS you can see the badge here: KM Coastal Arty Starfish Badge - Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums

Hi Doug, thanks for the info. Very nice badge by the way , Cheers, Richard.

Pitomnik.
    Attached Images Attached Images New Photo Pick-Ups - Please Share