Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 277 of 365 FirstFirst ... 177 227 267 273 274 275 276 277 278 279 280 281 287 327 ... LastLast
Results 2,761 to 2,770 of 3646

New Photo Pick-Ups - Please Share

Article about: Wish the picture was better but after looking through some books I'm now leaning to a Mauser Modle HSe da auto pistol. 1938 7.65mm in competing with the Walther PP. The wood grip lead me to

?

Default Re: New Photo Pick-Ups - Please Share

Guys, thanks alot for the help with the translation. Andreas, I was wondering what the "Beu" word was in hopes of a Location ID, so thanks for that. Also good to know what O/S stands for, for future knowledge. It must be nice having these translation skills for documents/etc! It is an ongoing problem for me, but luckily have learned a decent amount, or at least enought to get by. haha Thanks again

Ned, good eye man. It certainly does look like a sling. I was also wondering what the second badge is, to the left of the reiterabziechen......is it the 2nd type of Riders badge? (i forgot the proper term)

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement New Photo Pick-Ups - Please Share
    P
    Many

?

Chris, that photo I told you about a while ago came today. The writings look like they are "anti-Greek" or maybe poking fun??

The first one..... Xanthippe Athen - "Shrew" or mouse-like Athen?? I dunno
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture New Photo Pick-Ups - Please Share  

?

Looks like they are Gebirgsjager who have fought on Crete Bill , 5 Gebirgs Divison !!
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

?

Hi Paul,
    Thanks for having a look. They are indeed GJ, as the guy in the window has the edelweiss patch. Thanks for the Unit Id too. I just thought the graffiti was kinda odd ?

Hello Bill,

I don't think the graffiti is making fun of anything per se. To me it appears harmless cartoons with reference to various locations or experiences to some significance to them.

I know that "Lili Marlene... Belgrad" would refer to Radio Belgrade which, from 1941 on wards played "Lili Marlene" all the time and soldiers from all over Europe and Africa sent in letters to them asking them to play it more... including Rommel himself.

I think the two other references to Crete and Athens would be known to some of you guys as far as their significance to the particular soldiers on this train.

As you point out, Xantippe was Socrates wife and the name became a word and, among other things, can mean a shrew (not the animal but rather "shrew" in the sense of loudly and annoyingly critical) woman.

Minos was the first king of Crete if I recall.

In short, I think the graffiti is innocent.
    Last edited by tempelhof; 08-11-2012 at 05:59 PM.

New Photo Pick-Ups - Please ShareHi Chaps, just picked these up (in the post). Nice shots of a LAH SS man. Particularly like his staff & his mates Hilter moustache.

They look like the same guy to me. The one in the cammo cap is him as well, I think, just a little later as he now has been promoted and has an EK1.

Can anybody help translating the dreaded Sutterlin script on the back?

Cheers,

Richard.

- - Updated - -

Having trouble getting one to show. Please click link.

Now the same pic twice I give up
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture New Photo Pick-Ups - Please Share   New Photo Pick-Ups - Please Share  

New Photo Pick-Ups - Please Share  
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote by DUJAILAH View Post
    Particularly like his staff & his mates Hilter moustache.
    Since the moustachioed man appears significantly older than our soldier and has somewhat similiar facial features, it think this could actually be his father.

Quote by DUJAILAH View Post
    Can anybody help translating the dreaded Sutterlin script on the back?
    It says:

"28. Mai 1944

für immerbleibendes Andenken
    meiner Freundin Friedl.

gewidmet
    [signed]"

...i.e.:

"28 May 1944

as an everlasting memory
    to my girlfriend Friedl

dedicated
    [signed]"

"Freundin" is the female form of "Freund" [= friend]; it can, but most not necessarily mean "girlfriend" in the strict sense of the term. I am not 100 % sure on the signature; to me, it looks like "Gerd Münchinger" or something similiar.

Hi HPL2008, brilliant work as usual I didn't think there was much hope with the script; but you cracked it. Yeah, I think you're right that it is his Dad, Many Thanks, Richard.

LOL, I remember seeing that one on ebay. The train car pic that is.

?

Quote by big ned View Post
    The chap in the second wedding photo appears to have his right arm in a sling hidden behind the brides bouquet.
    He sure does. A horse riding accident perhaps?

Bryant

- - Updated - -